LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just discovered the coolest thing

While holding the control key, I happened to have my cursor over a division node on the block diagram and it changed to a weird looking figure-8 with an arrow. I think I've seen this before, but I never explored what it was. I clicked, and like magic the 2 wires that I had connected to the node switched places!

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I felt the need to post it because I never knew it existed and I'm sure there are others out there like me. It's quite convenient as opposed to deleting wires and reconnecting.

Almost 2 years and I'm still learning these little tidbits all the time.
Message 1 of 11
(3,223 Views)
Nice thing to know.... maybe should convert this post to a nugget 🙂

Norbert B.
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 11
(3,207 Views)
HI,
I am interrested at using this tool but maybe because of my french mother tongue I haven't succed yet to understand the trick,
is that working on all wires connected to a sub VI or a node like an user event register VI ? maybe it doesn't work under labview 7.01
how should I do exactly,

thanks

Olivier        
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,193 Views)
Didn't mean to take anything away from Darren's nugget, I don't remember reading that one. I did a quick search, but of course I didn't include "switcharoo tool" in it Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,186 Views)

Olivier,

It only works on nodes that have 2 inputs, like the numeric operations (add, subtract, etc.). Wire both inputs, then hold control and move your cursor in between the 2 inputs until it changes into an arrow with a figure-8. Clicking will swap the 2 inputs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,181 Views)
Yeah, someday search algorithms will be able to read our minds and say "Oh, that's what you really wanted!". For now, we have to keep guessing. I remembered the nugget, but my first search for "swap nodes" didn't turn it up. For some reason, a search for "swap inputs" did. Go figure.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,176 Views)
Another nugget that has been posted that I use all the time ctrl-wheel mouse in structures.  You can then switch between events and case fast and easy using the wheel mouse.
Message 8 of 11
(3,151 Views)

Wow.

I didn't know that one Evan -- Thanks.  I'll use that often!

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,141 Views)
Yeah I scroll through structures like that hundreds of times a day. I mostly use it to move back and forth to make sure everything is lined up in the different cases. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it definitely spills over into my LV code appearance.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,134 Views)