LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I inherited a huge program, and it won't stop growing.

Literally, it grows on its own. Everytime I place a new control, remove something, move something, or do anything a bunch of the terminal in the block diagram shift to the right. And since every structure is set to auto grow, they do just that. I don't know why this is happening, I've never see this on any program before. If I had the time to completely overhaul the program I would, but that is not an option. Does anyone know if there is a specific bug or option that could be causing this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(363 Views)

Hi pndavkota,

 


@pndavkota wrote:

 Everytime I place a new control, remove something, move something, or do anything a bunch of the terminal in the block diagram shift to the right. And since every structure is set to auto grow, they do just that. I don't know why this is happening,


So you know "autogrow" is enabled, but you don't know why your block diagram grows upon placing more items inside such structures?

 


@pndavkota wrote:

If I had the time to completely overhaul the program I would, but that is not an option.


Well, I recommend to refactor such "huge" block diagrams. Really!

 


@pndavkota wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a specific bug or option that could be causing this?


An enabled options is not a "bug"...

Disable that option for all structures!

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(352 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi pndavkota,

 


@pndavkota wrote:

 Everytime I place a new control, remove something, move something, or do anything a bunch of the terminal in the block diagram shift to the right. And since every structure is set to auto grow, they do just that. I don't know why this is happening,


So you know "autogrow" is enabled, but you don't know why your block diagram grows upon placing more items inside such structures?

 


@pndavkota wrote:

If I had the time to completely overhaul the program I would, but that is not an option.


Well, I recommend to refactor such "huge" block diagrams. Really!

 


@pndavkota wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a specific bug or option that could be causing this?


An enabled options is not a "bug"...

Disable that option for all structures!


Some developers love the auto-grow feature and are very proficient at using it.  I am not one of those.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(320 Views)

What version of LabVIEW are you using?  An odd thing was observed and solved here.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(319 Views)

It's also been known for a long time that very large block diagrams will cause all kinds of weird issues (I don't remember the exact size that things to haywire).  So the solution is to refactor and use subVIs.


GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(308 Views)

@billko wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

Hi pndavkota,

 


@pndavkota wrote:

 Everytime I place a new control, remove something, move something, or do anything a bunch of the terminal in the block diagram shift to the right. And since every structure is set to auto grow, they do just that. I don't know why this is happening,


So you know "autogrow" is enabled, but you don't know why your block diagram grows upon placing more items inside such structures?

 


@pndavkota wrote:

If I had the time to completely overhaul the program I would, but that is not an option.


Well, I recommend to refactor such "huge" block diagrams. Really!

 


@pndavkota wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a specific bug or option that could be causing this?


An enabled options is not a "bug"...

Disable that option for all structures!


Some developers love the auto-grow feature and are very proficient at using it.  I am not one of those.


I'm with you.  Here are some other things I don't like:

  • FP Terminals as icons
  • Auto-insert Feedback Node
  • Automatic wire routing
  • Lock automatic tool selection (I absolutely hate this one)
  • Drag Autowire (turn this off with "DragAutoWire="False" in labview.ini)
"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(292 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

It's also been known for a long time that very large block diagrams will cause all kinds of weird issues (I don't remember the exact size that things to haywire).  So the solution is to refactor and use subVIs.


The coordinates are I16 and anything can happen if you start wrapping.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(255 Views)

There is a tool called "Nattify" that you can use to turn off all auto-grow in all structures at once in a VI.  

 

It does a number of other things too that many (but definitely not all) LabVIEW developers like to have altered, so check what else it does before you do it and it changes other things you weren't expecting.  

Message 8 of 8
(225 Views)