From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have controlled a cell consisting of a CNC Mill and a Robot through LabVIEW. Now to make the prgram more user friendly,I want LabVIEW to choose a particular CNC program from CNC programming software and run it on the CNC machine.How should I proceed?

Currently LabVIEW is being run on one computer and the CNC software on the other computer.The control is developed through the Opto22 board and RS232.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(14,189 Views)
Re: I have controlled a cell consisting of a CNC Mill and a Robot through LabVIEW. Now to make the prgram more user friendly,I want LabVIEW to choose a particular CNC program from CNC programming software and run it on the CNC machine.How should I proceed?Here are a couple of ideas:
1) There are G code translation VIs that take the CNC commands from say AutoCad and command the NI 7344 with three axis to move the CNC machine tool. I can provide these for evaluation if you like.

2) Control Link Systems has a variety of CNC machine tool interface VIs that allow connection of LabVIEW to your specific machine and motion control system. The website is: http://www.controlinksystems.com/

I would be happy to discuss in more detail.

Preston Johnson
Business Development Manager, Industrial Applications
512-683-5444
preston.johnson@ni.com
Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
Message 2 of 11
(14,190 Views)
Re: I have controlled a cell consisting of a CNC Mill and a Robot through LabVIEW. Now to make the prgram more user friendly,I want LabVIEW to choose a particular CNC program from CNC programming software and run it on the CNC machine.How should I proceed?ABMSoft - an NI alliance member in Eastern Europe has developed a very powerful G-code interpretor for LabVIEW. Their ABMS-NC toolkit for LabVIEW also includes an offline simulation tool. They have successfully deployed many machines using this toolkit. Its available directly from ABMSoft for $995. You can contact ABMSoft directly.

More info on ABMSoft (Contact info and product details)
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niaa.com_view?p_all_id=7974

Documentation on ABMSoft's website
http://www.abmsoft.com/NI-NC.pdf

Thanks,
Rahul

Rahul Kulkarni
National Instruments
Message 3 of 11
(14,149 Views)

Hi Preston,

I believe you have developed some VIs for CNC G-codes. I would be really thankful to you if you can share it with me. Thanks.

Regards,

Giridhar Rajan

Cruiser Controls

Mumbai, India

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(13,994 Views)

Hi Mr.Preston,

This is a request from me that if you have any G-code related VIs then please share them with me. I will be really greatful to you for those. I'm involved in a G-code and M-code based LabVIEW project these days and I badly in search of a few examples to get some idea abt. it and proceed further. Thank You.

Regards,

Giridhar Rajan,

Automation Engineer

Cruiser Controls

Mumbai, India

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(13,972 Views)

Good morning, I am interested in Part 1 that you mentioned "There Are G code translation VIs That take commands from the CNC and say AutoCad command with the NI 7344 to move the three axis CNC machine tool. I can Provide These for evaluation if you like. "I wonder how I can do this because I'm working on a project in which I want to control a CNC milling machine with labview, Thw CNC milling machine is not working and I want to control the stepper motors with Labview. The part that interests me at the moment is that you mentioned the traslation of G codes, I want to know Which VI or module  is necessary,   . I would like if I could help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(11,045 Views)

Of the previous posters, only Preston Johnson has been on the forums in the last few years, some not having been on in the over 5 years since the last post before yours. It is good to do a search on a topic, but then if the most recent discussion was not recent, start an new thread.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(11,025 Views)

The NI Motion Assistant has now incorporated similar functions:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11091

The NI Motion Assistant offers the ability to import motion profiles created in CAD or drafting packages using the widely accepted DXF file format. Using this feature with the NI patent-pending smart-contouring algorithm, you can implement precise motion profiles for cutting or scribing applications.

So if you can convert your CNC files, or create a DXF file from the tool that created the CNC files, then Motion Assistant will perform the needed functions. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(11,007 Views)

Thanks,your answer helped me a lot, I will contact my supplier of National Instruments in my city, . Thank you very much.

Meybe in  the future i have other some cuestions. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(10,988 Views)

hello, can you help me?, i need a g-code and m-code interpreter, using labview. or an example like that.

My project its to create a cnc mill control using labview, with NI PCI-7334 and the HUMI 7774.

I have been tested my 7334 and the HUMI 7774 with my stepper motor and everythings its ok. the 3 axis move. But i need an little example of a G code interpreter.

I apreciate your help, thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,395 Views)