From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 12-bit A/D comvertor ADS7817. It has serial synchronous 3-wire output. How can I read it directly, without microcontroller, by using LV5.1 software only? May be it is possible to do it by using LPT port as a digital input?

ADS7817 serial interface has DCLOC and CS/SHDN as input and Dout as output. Can I generate these signals by LV, send it via LPT to ADS and read 12 bit from LPT? I need a sampling frequency at least 2 KHz. Will it work? I am not sure if LPT can write and read the data simultaneously. At least, if I simulate the DCLOC and CS/SHDN by additional IC generator, how to read by LPT at all?
Alternative way: If somebody have a VI (or CIN) to read 12 bit via COM port?

Best regards,
Stas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,594 Views)
Hello Stas,

Once again I have to point out your best option; DAQ Cards from NI will not make you jump through these hoops.
LabVIEW can talk to the LPT port, but you can send strings or commands specific to the instrument that you have. LabVIEW does not have the ablity to convert serial to parallel or anything like that. Anything that the instrument can output as long as it was in the correct format LabVIEW can read. The specific VIs to use are the port in and port out in LabVIEW 6.

Doug
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,594 Views)