LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2012 activated, but I need 2011 activated. Must I uninstall 2012

I am trying to work with a Measurement Computing, 1207FS which will not work with Labview 2012. I had loaded 2012 evaluation while I waited for the license to arrived. It was then I discovered the issue with the 1207FS. Do I need to completely uninstall 2012 and if so would I loose the license?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,169 Views)

No. You cna have multiple versions of LabVIEW installed at the same time.

You do have to manage your code base however. If you are working with code in different versions at the sme time you need to make sure that you keep the code for the different versions separate. Otherwise you run th erisk of saving it for the higher version and preventing the lower versions from opening it.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,168 Views)

Thanks Mark

Well I tried to run the Labview 2011 installer, maybe that is where I am getting messed up, but the software comes back faulted indicating that I have a newer version installed and the 2011 installer will not run.

Is there a process that I need to shut down prior to running the installer?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,147 Views)

Installing is different than activating.  That does sound right that you have to install the older versions first.  I thought they fixed this, but I guess not.  So, sorry, but you will need to uninstall 2012 to install 2011.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,143 Views)

Thanks Crossrulz

Being a complete novice with Labview software, I have discovered that I am not even working with the right software. I had down loaded a runtime and not the development software. I now have a copy of the development software and will be trying to install that later today. When I spoke with tech support, they assured me that I will not have to uninstall 2012 inorder to install 2011. The only gotcha I have to watch is that when saving for the compile, I select the right run time version.

I will let you know if you can actual install a previous with a current installed. I know that with software such as Rockwell RSLogix 5000 or Siemens S7,  you have to install the earlier versions first.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,129 Views)

Dazed_And_Confused wrote:

Well I tried to run the Labview 2011 installer, maybe that is where I am getting messed up, but the software comes back faulted indicating that I have a newer version installed and the 2011 installer will not run.

This does not sound right at all. You should be able to install any supported LabVIEW version and in any order. There are always some shared components (also e.g. MAX, DAQmx, etc.), so for these it will retain the newest and not install a previous version over it. This has nothing to do with "messed up" or "faulted". The installer is very good a surgically merge shared components.

I just recently installed LabVIEW 7.1 on a machine containing LabVIEW 2010, 2011, and 2012. No problem!

Can you show us a capture of the exact error window you are seeing.

Message 6 of 7
(2,123 Views)

Dazed_And_Confused wrote:

Being a complete novice with Labview software, I have discovered that I am not even working with the right software. I had down loaded a runtime and not the development software. I now have a copy of the development software and will be trying to install that later today. 

OK, that explains your issue. I believe that the LabVIEW 2012 development system already installs some previous run time engines, so when you tried installing the 2011 run time engine, it already had the patched LabVIEW 2011 SP1 (or similar) run time installed, which is newer. 😉

Good luck with the development system 😄

Message 7 of 7
(2,118 Views)