From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed." (USB VISA connection to Tek TBS1052B-EDU)

Greetings friends from far away!

I understand that what I am trying to setup may not be a supported configuration, but a lot of my work depends on it, so here I go.

I am trying to set up a Windows 7 VM using VirtualBox, with the full set of LabVIEW, DAQmx and VISA drivers to perform daq at a University teaching lab. The host is Linux Mint 19.3. Guest is Windows 7SP1, fully patched. LabVIEW 13, latest version of VISA (downloaded today!).

When I connect a Tektronix TDS 1012B oscilloscope via USB to the host, and route the device to the guest, I have no problems. I can connect to it using the test panels, and program using LabVIEW to me heart's content. Or to the student's content for the matter.

Now, if I plug a Tektronix TBS 1052B-EDU, and route the connection to the guest, Windows properly recognizes it, installs the proper drivers, etc. BUT... I cannot get the instrument to return any data, or to accept any command vìa VISA. Even on the test panel, a simple ID query fails with:

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I tried changing ports, changing instruments, using better cables, upgrading VirtualBox, upgrading the scope's firmware, changing the timeout, etc. to no avail. The scope works ok, but there is no response to any command.

I tried installing and uninstalling the scope's own software (mostly TekVISA and Tek OpenChoice Desktop), also no change.

I am out of ideas right now.

Any clues are welcome.

Pablo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,042 Views)

Hi Pablo, 

Have you tried to communicate with the instrument directly from LabVIEW using the LabVIEW Plug and Play driver for this instrument? You can find the driver here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=22950

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,739 Views)

I have never had good luck using Virtual Box and LabVIEW communicate with any physical instruments.

I am guessing something with the connection from Virtual Box to the physical port is not fully compatible with VISA.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,724 Views)