LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get error -1074384856 (no external bus power) when trying to use my NI-XNET hardware with a USB-8502?

I get error -1074384856 when trying to use my NI-XNET hardware with a USB-8502 but in the specs it says that it does not require external power. This same setup was working a few days ago with no changes.

Details:

- I have Pin 2 and 7 connected to CANH and CANL.

- I have verified the device I am connecting to is transmitting CAN messages with a different setup

- In NIMax the USB-8502 passes the self test

- In NIMax the second I try the XNET Bus Monitor and hit start I get that error. 

- I verified my baud rate and have tried pretty much every setting in the bus monitor. 

- My PC is not in power saving mode and I have tried several PC's with the same results. I will probably try a powered usb bus soon just in case. 

Did this device just randomly break? No config/wiring changes or anything, seems like it just stopped working.

Has anyone ran into this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,183 Views)

I can't seem to find the information on this at the moment.  But I got a letter about this hardware after a recent purchase.  It sounds like to me there is a batch of NI parts that exhibit this failure mode, and are being replaced free of cost.  Call up NI and they should get you a free replacement.  I want to say the dead line was the end of 2023 but I can't find the letter, or the email.  I bought 4 of these, and only one had this issue, which I haven't sent in yet.

EDIT: I found more information on this:

NI has discovered that certain units of USB 8502 CAN Interface Devices produced since March of 2022 exhibit sensitivity to input power fluctuations that may occur during normal usage of the device.

1. Return your device to NI for repair free of charge until November 28, 2023. If you are located in the United States or Canada, contact your local sales representative or request support via the service site at https://sine.ni.com/srm/app/getassistance. If you are outside the United States or Canada, contact your local NI branch at https://www.ni.com/en-us/contact-us.html.
    2. If you have any further questions, call 1-866-275-6964 (1-866-ASK-MY-NI).”
Message 2 of 2
(1,140 Views)