From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I discovered another "nugget"

Perhaps some of you already know this but I just stumbled on it.

When you are filling in text for a lable of a control or indicator or plain text documentation lable, you can terminate it with the Enter key of the numeric keypad.

Previously I would change from the text tool with the Tab button then click somewhere outside the lable.
Message 1 of 5
(5,009 Views)

Yup, I remember learning that one when I took LabVIEW Basics a little over 7 years ago...I remember thinking, "LabVIEW is the only application I can think of where the Enter key on the numeric keypad and the Enter key on the standard part of the keyboard can do different things."  🙂

-D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,998 Views)

I remember thinking, "LabVIEW is the only application I can think of where the Enter key on the numeric keypad and the Enter key on the standard part of the keyboard can do different things."  :)

-D

Which can be good or bad -- bad, for instance, when using the MS Spreadsheet ActiveX Control:  can't use either keys to enter data in a cell and "apply."   I wish they both behaved the same. 

-Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,986 Views)
Hi Khalid,

If you want both "Enter" key to behave equally, you can set this up in "Options" >> Front Panel" and tick the first box "End text entry with enter key" afterwoards, add line in a text use "ctrl+enter" 😉

I think now the nugget if fully cooked Smiley Very Happy

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 4 of 5
(4,984 Views)

Thanks for the reply, Titou. 

However, the MS Spreadhseet ActiveX control is a different kind of beast...  err, nugget  Smiley Very Happy

With the option 'End text entry with Enter key' unchecked (default), the main Enter key "applies" the value to the cell.  And the Num-pad Enter key does not. 

And with the option  'End text entry with Enter key' checked, neither key apply the value! 

I guess we should take this discussion elsewhere... don't want to leave a bad taste on this thread.

-Khalid

Message Edited by Khalid on 03-28-2006 01:45 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,934 Views)