LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to use a digital potentiometer with the 6062E PCMCIA, to control the gain of my circuit. Is it possible?

Did somebody here use a digital potentiometer interfacing with LabView through 6062E PCMCIA? I haven't yet used a digital potentiometer, and I don't know how it works. If somebody has done it, please help me.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,704 Views)

Good morning,

There functions in LabVIEW to change the gain, as the PID function follow the link below along with the manual NI DAQCard-6062E (for PCMCIA) on page 10 is an indication of the pins to connect. Any questions please contact us.

PID Motor Control

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-16983

NI DAQCard -6062E Family

Specifications

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370724c.pdf

Sincerely,

Mauro Vera
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,658 Views)

Thank you so much for the answer, but it was no what I meant. I mean a physical digital potentiometer. I need to control a non-inverter op-amp amplifier, to control the gain. And I would like to use a digital potentiometer. They use SPI communication to be controlled. Do you know if this is possible?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,644 Views)

Yes it is possiible

There are two different types of digital pots ones that use a communication protocol and ones that use a step up step down command.  If you don't want to get into the communication protocols use the step up digital pots.  They are fairly easy to control.

See attached data sheet

You would need to digital lines to count up or down.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,641 Views)

Thanks so much, man... So, it's only make use of two digital outputs to control it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,611 Views)

Is it possible to use SPI communication, using this pot? "mcp41100"

thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,586 Views)

It looks like that chip should work.

Attached is an example of a subvi used to send SPI cmds.

Good luck with your project

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,556 Views)

Thank you, I am gonna work on it and as soon as I have some doubts or success, I post here, ok? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,552 Views)

I should offer some explanation about the example I posted.  It was designed for a chip that used a 7 bit register LSB first.  I also added the delays in between clock pulses so I could check the signal with an O-scope. Each iteration of the for loop sent one bit of data.  I used three digital lines from a daq board.

The chip you were looking at had a 16 bit register but I did not notice the order of the bits.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,550 Views)