From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to Pilot Parallel Port an its seperate bits

Hi...

I'd like to pilot 8 relays with the normal parallel-port of a PC using LabView. In this case I have to pilot 9 bits of the parallel port. How can I realise to pilot the parallel port and the seperate bits and which VI should be used?

Message Edited by Sushi on 05-16-2006 11:05 AM

Message Edited by Sushi on 05-16-2006 11:05 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,288 Views)

Hi Sushi,

The first thing to investigate is whether the PC's parallel port can actually drive that many relays due to loading conditions.  Check out the specs of your PC's bus versus the loading requirements (typically mA) for a given relay. 

As for controlling the relay using the parallel port, you can have a look at the example provided by Labview by searching within the Help menu, under "Find Examples", then search "parallel port".  Although reading & writing to the parallel port is relatively easy, the nice thing with the examples is that it provides information on each line of the port (data vs control, etc).  I also posted an attachment a few years ago on how to set up the port.  This was used to open / close relays..  I will look for the thread.

Regards,

JLV

Message 2 of 3
(2,279 Views)

Hi Sushi,

Have a look at the following link.  Have a look at the document called "General_Information_on_parallel_ports.pdf".

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=96480

JLV

Message 3 of 3
(2,276 Views)