LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant use school 7.1 vis with my 7.0 express I just bought!! I want money back!

However, assuming that LabVIEW is C based, I don't see any real reason as to why 7.0 cannot open 7.1.

Looks like another clairification is in order.

Although the LabVIEW development environment itself is written with one or several flavors of C, or some other text based language, the VI's you create with it contain no "C" code. The VIs are compiled from the block diagram (the VIs source code) directly to machine language. At least that's what I've come to understand.

Another consideration is new features added to 7.1 that were not available in 7.0 sometimes make the backwards conversion difficult, if not impossible. You can always use the "Save with Options" selection in the 'File' menu and select "Save to Previous" from the save dialog to get your VIs back to 7.0, but depending on what the VI contains, it may or may not be broken when you open it in 7.0.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 11 of 19
(1,260 Views)
Hi Micah,

No, this isn't NI support as such. We're (mostly) LAbVIEW programmers who like to visit the forums to learn from others and impart the odd piece of information to others who are in need.

This is more of a LV community than customer support. Well, it's support by NI customers, so it's maybe just a different kind of customer support, if you know what I mean.....

Hope this helps

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,197 Views)
I think that Micah's problem should be discussed with attention, leaving the "support" question on the side.
Most programmming languages are text-based. So you can open a source with any text-editor, and have access to the program. Often, after minor modifications, you can even recompile the source not only in an older version, but also in another language.
In contrast, with LabVIEW, you cannot open a vi written in a newer version, even if the program consists in a single simple addition. When working with an up-to-date version, you cannot save your work in a previous version, except for the very last one.
I have been using LV since version 2.2 and each update has been the occasion for anger and desperation, each time I forgot, for one reason or the other, that all the computers I was working with were not loaded with the same version.
I tend to believe that version compatibility is not only a technical problem, and I would really be happy to get a convincing explanation of the impossibility of converting a vi from LV 7.1 down to LV 6.
Just my 2 cents of criticism...

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 13 of 19
(1,192 Views)
CC wrote;

"impossibility of converting a vi from LV 7.1 down to LV 6".

I would guess it is more a logistics and demand issue.

1) If you want everyone to assemble on the east side of the river, only build one-way briges that lead from west to east.

2) Training front line support personal to support previous versions.

3) Imagine saving a 7.1 VI for 5.1. No control refnums, no events, etc.

So not impossible just not worth the trouble.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 14 of 19
(1,183 Views)

Ben wrote:Imagine saving a 7.1 VI for 5.1. No control refnums, no events, etc.

Well, I was not discussing about stone carving... 🙂

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 15 of 19
(1,177 Views)
Hey altenbach ,
Do they give free cd's at the 'LabVIEW Hands-On Measurement and Automation Seminar'?
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nievn.ni?action=display_offerings_by_event&event_id=16516&state=PA&site=NIC&node=61110
Ram
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,156 Views)
To get the LabVIEW Student edition, you need to attend a LabVIEW Hands-On Campus Workshop (<-- this is a better link than above!). Unless you are at an educational institution, you're probably out of luck. If your campus does not have a workshop, try to see if one can be organized. (See the bottom of the above link for information).

You can always buy the student edition. At uder $70 with free shipping it is great deal and cheaper than most labview books alone :o. (Make sure to get the 7.1.1 version and not the 7.0!). Of course, the license restricts it to personal educational use.

(Of course most other NI events give out free CDs too, buy they are typically demos and such. ;))
Message 17 of 19
(1,138 Views)
Micah Bayless: I can't believe you wouldn't make the student versions read the files. Give me a break! I made 3 files off the schools (UCSD) labview (MAE dept) and express won't open it. I am really mad!!!

Micah Bayless: Of course I can get another version, but my point of compatibility is not answered. I guess that learning about the LabVIEW giveaway after buying (albeit MUCH cheaper than a full version) the 7.0 (recommended by professor) just got to me.

Dude - assuming the professor who recommended 7.0 is employed by the MAE department, and also assuming that the MAE department is running 7.1 in the student laboratory, then, for the record: Your professor is an utter and complete moron.

Welcome to the real world.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,271 Views)
Thanks for providing the link, I will ask my graduate chair to request for a LabVIEW Hands-On Campus Workshop ;).
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,130 Views)