From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot communicate with a Network Analyzer through the LAN connection.

Solved!
Go to solution

Have a USB-ETHERNET connection to an Agilent Network Analyzer.   I can ping the instrument  with cmd prompt.   But I keep getting stuck at setting up a network connection through MAX or trying to connect through Labview VISA connections.    I get the error "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system".   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(4,833 Views)

What is the IP address of the instrument?  What is the IP address of the computer with the USB-Ethernet adapter?  How are you connected to the instrument (direct connection? switch? router?)?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,832 Views)
And what is the model of the instrument? Does it support VXI-11/LXI?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,813 Views)

It is an Agilent E8363B Network Analyzer.   It is not a VXI-LXi instrument.   I'm using a D-Link USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter.  The ip address of the analyzer is 169.254.253.181 and the ip address of the pc is 169.254.253.182, same subnet   255.255.0.0.   I did read that it may need a different address something like "TCPIP0::"HOSTNAME:SOCKET:INSTR"

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,781 Views)
The :INSTR designation is for VXI-11/LXI instruments. How did you create the resource? With MAX and Create> New TCP/IP Resource? The driver for it lists GPIB as the only supported interface. Are you sure that Ethernet is available for remote control?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(4,775 Views)

I found that the firmware is A.6.04.32, which is older than the units shipped with LXI-1.1 & VXI-11.3.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(4,773 Views)

I think it is, the help menu says that LAN communication is supported.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,772 Views)

I tried to use max to create a link to the instrument.   But it did not recognize the analyzer.  Although while it is searching for VXI instruments i see the "169.254.253.182 Agilent-IFPFUIJ"  in the search window temporarily.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,770 Views)
Do an upgrade of the firmware. Don't bother doing a search for VXI-11 if it's not supported. You would need to create RAW connection if you don't change the firmware.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(4,764 Views)

If I cannot upgrade firmware, how do I create a RAW connection?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,761 Views)