LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot communicate with a Network Analyzer through the LAN connection.

Solved!
Go to solution

Have a USB-ETHERNET connection to an Agilent Network Analyzer.   I can ping the instrument  with cmd prompt.   But I keep getting stuck at setting up a network connection through MAX or trying to connect through Labview VISA connections.    I get the error "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system".   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(4,826 Views)

What is the IP address of the instrument?  What is the IP address of the computer with the USB-Ethernet adapter?  How are you connected to the instrument (direct connection? switch? router?)?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,825 Views)
And what is the model of the instrument? Does it support VXI-11/LXI?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,806 Views)

It is an Agilent E8363B Network Analyzer.   It is not a VXI-LXi instrument.   I'm using a D-Link USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter.  The ip address of the analyzer is 169.254.253.181 and the ip address of the pc is 169.254.253.182, same subnet   255.255.0.0.   I did read that it may need a different address something like "TCPIP0::"HOSTNAME:SOCKET:INSTR"

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,774 Views)
The :INSTR designation is for VXI-11/LXI instruments. How did you create the resource? With MAX and Create> New TCP/IP Resource? The driver for it lists GPIB as the only supported interface. Are you sure that Ethernet is available for remote control?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(4,768 Views)

I found that the firmware is A.6.04.32, which is older than the units shipped with LXI-1.1 & VXI-11.3.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(4,766 Views)

I think it is, the help menu says that LAN communication is supported.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,765 Views)

I tried to use max to create a link to the instrument.   But it did not recognize the analyzer.  Although while it is searching for VXI instruments i see the "169.254.253.182 Agilent-IFPFUIJ"  in the search window temporarily.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,763 Views)
Do an upgrade of the firmware. Don't bother doing a search for VXI-11 if it's not supported. You would need to create RAW connection if you don't change the firmware.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(4,757 Views)

If I cannot upgrade firmware, how do I create a RAW connection?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,754 Views)