LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting a Remote Panel displayed on the remote display outside of browser. How tdo I force the panel to display in browser.

I have several machines running LabVIEW 8.2.1 my application uses remote panels embedded in a browser to display the front panel of the running VI. One machine is responding with the brower window coming up, but when the VI is launched it is displayed on the remote machine as a stand-alone remote front panel. About half of the machines have had InternetToolkit intalled, at least one machine that is working does not. the machine in question does not. Could this be part of the problem.

The enclosing web pages are generated by a .Net web server running on port 80, LabVIEW web server on port 81.
Example object block from the generated page. Other than machine and vi information I do not se any differences between the applications.

<!-- LVRemotePanel -->
<OBJECT ID="LabVIEWControl" BORDER=1
    CLASSID="CLSID:A40B0AD4-B50E-4E58-8A1D-8544233807AE"
    CODEBASE="ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/runtime/windows/8.2/LVRunTimeEng.exe"
    WIDTH="722" HEIGHT="740" >
    <PARAM name="server" value="http://hostname.domain.class:81" />
 <PARAM name="LVFPPVINAME" value="Force.vi">
 <param name="REQCTRL" value="true">
 <EMBED src="http://hostname.domain.class:81/.LV_FrontPanelProtocol.rpvi82" LVFPPVINAME="Force_13.vi"
 REQCTRL="true"  WIDTH=722 HEIGHT=740 TYPE="application/x-labviewrpvi82"
 PLUGINSPAGE="http://digital.ni.com/express.nsf/express?openagent&code=ex3e33&">
  </EMBED>
</OBJECT>

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,431 Views)
Hey pbailey,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments. I want to clarify a few things with you, as I am not sure I understand exactly what is going on.

You currently have computer that runs a VI, acts a Web Server, and publishes a remote front panel. From a remote location, you open your web browser, type in the IP address of the host computer, and attempt to open the Remote Front Panel?

Can you clarify what you mean by "stand-alone remote front panel?"

Also, I am not sure if I completely understand the question in the subject line of your post. You ask "How do I force the panel to display in browser?" If you have properly set up a remote front panel, you should be able to launch the VI, and view it in Internet Explorer.

We do have a great Dev Zone that might be helpful for you:

Remote Panels in LabVIEW -- Distributed Application Development
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4791

Anymore information would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great weekend!

Kevin H
National Instruments
WSN/Wireless DAQ Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,406 Views)

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

Attached is a screen shot of the problem. This is from my home machine which does not have a LabVIEW environment installed, but does have runtime plug-ins for 7.1 & 8.2.1. I also get similar results on my development machines.

The serving machines are all on campus.

The remote front panel on the left is what I expected to see embedded in the 'loading ....' field on the Web page on the right.

The application [ The iLab Project ] is complex and uses a collection of .Net Web Services to provide access to remote labs using the Internet.

Access to an iLab Lab Server running on port 80 is authorized by a Service Broker, normally running on another machine. The Lab Server, LabVIEW environment and measurement hardware are normally on the same machine, iLab Lab Server using port 80, LabVIEW WebServer using port 81.

Once the user is authorized and redirected to the Lab Server the Lab Server ensures that LabVIEW is running and the specified VI is loaded, a web page is generated on port 80 that includes the OBJECT block to display the front panel from port 81. Example OBJECT block included in my original post.

I have used this code on three other 8.2.1 Lab Servers with different VI's and the Front panel is displayed in the web page as expected.

Variations of the code have been used since LabVIEW 7.0. Prior to version 8.2 the InternetToolkit, GWeb Server and a custom CGI VI were used to generate the contents of an in-line frame to display the Front Panel. Since 8.2 I generate the Object block directly as part of the aspx processing. Is it possible I need the InternetTookit installed even if it is not used, I'm pretty sure one of my working systems has never had the toolkit installed, the machine in question has not.

I hope this makes my problem clearer, any help, pointers or further questions will be appreciated.

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,390 Views)

Kevin,

I feel a little foolish, there was a simple resolution to my remote panel problem.

The VI in question had the window appearance property set to 'Run as Top-Level Application', instead of the default or custom settings that I used for all the VI's that I've worked with before. This includes the example application that I use for testing 'Tank Simulation'. Since the application that had the strange behavior was written by the folks at the hosting lab I should have spent more time looking into what were the differences in the actual VI from the VIs that have worked within the iLab environment, instead of expecting to find a problem with the lab site configuration.

It is nice to know that you can run a top-level application remotely , if that is what you want.

Thanks for your time & help.

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,361 Views)