From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O Name Filtering dialog is not coming up

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I/O Name Filtering dialog box is not showing up. My control becomes highlighted and that's it. I've seen this issue show up on the forums before with no solution other than fresh install. I'm working on a Win 7 machine with LabView 15.

So far I've tried:

Changing control to constant and loading I/O Name Filtering from the block diagram

New VI in a new project

LabView 15 repair

LabView 16 fresh install

LabView 16 repair

DAQmx update to 16

Hardware plugged in

Hardware disconnected

Only workaround I found so far is a creating a control off a DAQmx Read VI with the relevant config. 

Is this a known issue or do I have something configured wrong?

Thanks,

Denis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,855 Views)

I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by "I/O Name Filtering Dialog".  This wouldn't be something that is part of the File Dialog Express VI, would it?  [Hmm, perhaps another reason to shun Express VIs ...].

What, exactly, do you want to do?  If you drop down a Path Control, you can right-click it and select Browse Properties that will limit what gets shown.  You can even limit "by pattern" (i.e. show only *.txt files).  However, it does appear that there is no obvious way to specify the Pattern at Run-Time except by using the Express VI (the VI that NI previously used has been buried deep inside the Express VI and is not really accessible.  There also doesn't appear to be a suitable Property Node that can be set.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,850 Views)

When you drop down an I/O Control (e.g. Physical Channel) it will generally display only the available AI ports by default. If you want different ports or no filtering at all, you would right click on the control, select I/O Name Filtering and choose the relevant ports from the dialog box. That dialog box is not showing up for me for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,849 Views)

Thanks.  I was answering "the wrong question", and even my answer was wrong.  You can specify the Match Pattern property of a Path Control -- I just missed its name in the Properties list (it's Browse Option, Match Pattern).

So I opened LabVIEW 2015, dropped down a DAQmx Physical Channel control, right-clicked and selected I/O Name Filtering (thanks for the clear instructions), and got this:

IO Name Filtering.png

If this is "what you are missing", then something in your LabVIEW installation has gone awry.  [Before I forget, I'm running LabVIEW 2015, along with 2012, 2014, and 2016, all 32-bit, on a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit system.  The Drivers have been updated to the LabVIEW 2016 "driver" disk].

I see you also have LabVIEW 2015 and 2016.  Did you do a Devices installation as well?  When you did the Repair, did you Repair DAQmx and Device Drivers?

If all else fails, you can try the "Uninstall all of LabVIEW" and "Reinstall".  Given the disk swapping you need for a Repair, a "Start-Over" option might be almost as fast (if not faster) ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,830 Views)

Yeah, that's the missing part. I did a complete uninstall of of both LabView and DAQmx and reinstalled LabView first, then DAQmx. I'm still getting no dialog box. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,822 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Denis.Vashuk

@Denis.Vashuk wrote:

Yeah, that's the missing part. I did a complete uninstall of of both LabView and DAQmx and reinstalled LabView first, then DAQmx. I'm still getting no dialog box. 

That's strange!  Though I certainly have seen problematic LabVIEW installations (hello, LabVIEW 2011).  Here are some suggestions for What To Do When LabVIEW Mis-Installs (I'm assuming Windows 7):

• Start by going to Control Panel, NI Software, and choose Remove All.
  • Important -- when it finishes, reboot!
  • Install just LabVIEW (and VIPM, if you want).  Reboot.
  • Install just the Toolkits and Modules you need (no Drivers!).  Reboot.
  • Install just the Drivers you need.  Reboot.
  • Open the NI License Manager and make sure the Products you need have their "License Buttons" showing as Dark Green.

I just did this with my system.  Curiously, Vision Acquisition Software was Pale Green, though Vision Development Module was Dark Green (and Vision seems to be working).

Also check out MAX, and be sure the Software Modules that you expect are present.  If anything seems "missing", report it here ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,810 Views)

Hello,

just for housekeeping:

Had this problem also in Lv2017 (64 bits) / 32 bits was working well.

Solved it by adding Registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\CurrentVersion

Then add a string named path and find your ni-daq installation folder e.g. D:\National Instruments\64-Bit\NI-DAQ\

Look also for the directory the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\NI-DAQmx\CurrentVersion

wich was existing.

I found that solution by digging around with MS sysinternals procmon tool wich is

very useful.

a.m.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,938 Views)