LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O Architecture for Windows Target + cRio 9047

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm in the beginning stages of changing from cDaq 9185/Windows host to cRio 9047/Windows host. At the moment, the application involves 2 mods in the chassis (an IR sensor and an angular encoder). Unfortunately, also included is a motor/controller needing rs 232. With the cDaq, I was able to integrate visa and daqmx in one vi on a laptop. Is it correct to say that a vi deployed on the rt/cRio cannot communicate with the motor controller if it's connected to the laptop? If so, would connecting the controller to the cRio on the 10 pin rs 232 solve this problem? If NI had been nice enough to include a modular plug rs 232 in the box with the cRio I would've answered my own question...thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,068 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Corelab

Corelab,

Your intuition is correct. You would need a communication method between the Host PC and the Real-Time system (the cRIO) for it to send and receive information when going through the PC.

You should be able to use the VISA functions with the serial port of your cRIO, and have them parallel to your data acquisition as you had before.

You can learn more about these functions in the CompactRIO Developers Guide (chapter 😎.

All the best,

Message 2 of 3
(1,988 Views)

Thanks for the assistance. We definitely want RT Interprocess in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,972 Views)