LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I transfer .vi's from one computer to another?

Dear NI community,

I am very new to LabVIEW, so I apologize if my terminology is lacking. I recently transferred a LabVIEW program from a Windows XP machine running LabVIEW 2010 to a Windows 7 machine running LabVIEW 2011. This program is used to control a servo through a PI C-863.10 controller while receiving data from a Keithley 2000.

After copying the program over,  I noticed that several of the .vi's that it needed were missing. I included a list of these below. I tried searching the Windows XP machine for the missing .vi's, but I could only find a handful of them. Where would these .vi's be stored?

Thank you for your help.

List of missing .vi's:

*IDN?.vi

ERR?.vi

MVR?.vi

VEL?.vi

POS?.vi

CST?.vi

SAI?.vi

LIM?.vi

TMX?.vi

TMN?.vi

REF?.vi

REF.vi

VEL.vi

MVR.vi

MPL.vi

MNL.vi

MOV.vi

DFH.vi

INI.vi

CST.vi

#24.vi

Close connection if open.vi

GCSTranslateError.vi

PI Open Interface of one system.vi

Define connected systems (Array).vi

Commanded axes connected?.vi

Define connected stages with dialog.vi

Define connected axes.vi

General wait for movement to stop.vi

Initialize Global1.vi

Global1.vi

Initialize Global2.vi

Set RON and return RON status.vi

Assign NaN for chosen axes.vi

Select values for chosen axes.vi

Substract axes array subset from axes array.vi

Define axes to command from boolean array.vi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,411 Views)

Many of those look like they are from the Keithley 2000 driver.  I would recommend downloading and installing the driver for that instrument.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,385 Views)

The Keithley driver is already installed. It is the GPIB488v92, and NI 488.2 was deleted in order to enable its installation. Would additional software be needed?

There are also several .vi's from PI on that list. It may be important to mention that the controller is a C-863.11 downgraded to the firmware of the .10 version. This was done because the LabVIEW program in question worked only with the .10 firmware. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,358 Views)
The gpib driver is for the controller, not the instrument. Probably in instr.lib folder.

You would need whatever code from PI as well. Don't you have the original code?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,348 Views)

What do you mean by original code from PI? 

There was no insrt.lib folder in the .zip I downloaded to get the gpib. None of the .vi's were there either. Are the vi's on the list I posted earlier a part of the driver/software packages that come with the controller and the Keithley 2000?

It may be worth noting that when I start this LabVIEW program, a window comes up that displays a search for the necessary vi's to run the program. I included an image of it. Whenever it finds a missing .vi, it prompts me to browse for it. I have been unable to find them on the new and original computers.

Also, I would like to thank you for your help so far. I am new to LabVIEW, and getting the hang of it has been challenging. I appreciate the support that I am being given.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,300 Views)

The Error Message you posted shows the name of the VI that is missing.  This is not a VI from National Instruments -- it must be from your add-on code or instrument file.  Does FODOR mean anything to you?  Look there.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,288 Views)
The instr.lib is a folder under the LabVIEW folder and instrument drivers are installed by selecting Help> Find instrument Drivers. There is a driver at - http://forums.ni.com/t5/Driver-Development-Kit-DDK/bd-p/90

Like Bob says, search for FODOR. Your driver may be custom or modified. Searching for the actual VIs May be pointless if they are inside an old llb.

Contact PI to see about code to communicate to their hardware. Again, they may be packaged inside an llb so a search would not find them.

On the old computer, expand Windows Explorer and look under instr.lib and user.lib. Take an image of the folder contents. Attach that. Or, on the older pc, open the original program and find the missing subVIs. Open one and select Save As. The dialog should tell you the current path.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,271 Views)