LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with BarTender software from LV ?

Hi,

I'd like to activate Seagull's BarTender Label printing software (version 7.71) from Labview.

Basically I need to create a new label, add text and pictures/icons to it and then send it to the printer.

I noticed an Active-X option exist but I'm not sure how to work with it. I started building something like the attached file but I don't know how to continue.

Does anyone have some examples ?

(Otherwise, is it possible to use command lines ?)

Thanks in advance,

Mentos.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,673 Views)

What type of printer are you trying to communicate with? Depending on the printer it may be possible to communicate directly with the printer itself. You would need to define the label or labels you would like to print and insert the data on the fly in your application and then send it to the printer.

I am not familiar with the BarTender application itself so I can't give you advice on interfacing with it. However if it does have an ActiveX interface you should be able to communicate with it directly.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,667 Views)

Hi mark,

I have a few models of printers, all have LPT ports.

Labview does have Active-X interface for the BarTender software, as seen on the example I attached, but I'm missing its literature/ help and don't really now how to use it.

I was hoping someone already worked with this Active-X and can send me some examples.

Mentos.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,641 Views)

Does BarTender software have built in template that you would call via ActiveX?

Here's an example using Broter software through ActiveX

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/170/178062/1/Brother%20Print%20Label%20Example.vi

from the post

Labview driven USB Label printer

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=178037&query.id=256550#M178037

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(8,622 Views)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the example. 

Unfortunatly I don't have the Broter software, all my stations use the BarTender. So, I guess I have to implement my application with the specific functions of the BarTender.

Nevertheless, in one of the links you gave me there's another link for a tool-kit for making barcodes in Labview. I was thinking maybe I can prepare my label with this toolkit and then only send it to the printer using the BarTtender Active-X.

Thanks for that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,609 Views)
What printer are you using? Would it be possible to communicate directly with the printer?

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,597 Views)

I have a few printers I need to address: Citizen CLP631Z, SATO CX410 EX2, SATO CT410TT-A

Today all work with the BarTender software.

I'm not sure what do you mean by "communicate directly with the printer".

How can I automatically edit the label I want to send to the printer ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(8,576 Views)

Hi

You should create the label design by fetching data from external sources such as text file or database or any picture files and then you have to link the file path to labview and it will print the label for you .

If it is a basic version then create the labels individually for each and every design and link the files to this vi and it will print it for you.

Message 8 of 13
(6,805 Views)

Can anyone tell me that how to create activex for the bartender software in LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,431 Views)

Have you actually tried to do anything yet? Can you post it?  What's your experience level in LabVIEW?

You'll probably want to start by going to the Connectivity --> ActiveX palette and dropping an "Automation open" node on your block diagram.  Then right-click it, select "Select ActiveX class...", and browse to the "BarTender.IBtApplication" class and select it.  Then add property nodes and/or invoke nodes to the output reference to see all of the stuff you can do with it.

Message 10 of 13
(6,414 Views)