LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view block diagram in multiple window

Solved!
Go to solution

Since I have so many states (3x) I do not want to swtich between states to view the block diagram so frequently.

How can I have multiple windows/views on the same block diagram?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,283 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tomsze

You could use screen shots.  But I know of nothing in the IDE to view a single block diagram in multiple windows.  I can see the potential use, so you might want to submit this to the Idea Exchange.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,243 Views)

What exactly is a "state"? Since when is 3x "many"? 😮

I assume your "states" are cases of a case or event structure, but who knows. Switching between cases seems almost easier than switching between windows

Are you aware than you can also use ctrl-scroll to go between cases? (Also useful if the case structure is so big that the selector is outside the visible window most of the time, but then you also have other problems ;)).

Can you show us one of your diagram where you think it would be useful?

(Most of the time I have many diagrams open when developing and having even more seems prohibitive. :D)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,222 Views)

@altenbach

When the project is getting larger and larger, the number of states will be more.

Multiple window/tile/view is found VB (1995) since so many years ago so I assume that it provides an alternative productive way to see your code rather than switch back and forth when you want to focus on a few places.

Scrolling is fun but I have to focus on the jobSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
(3,214 Views)

tomsze wrote:.

Scrolling is fun but I have to focus on the jobSmiley Happy

ctrl-scroll does not scroll, but switch between cases.

More windows need more screen space. Do you have multiple monitors?

(I am just looking at my current main event structure and it has 25 cases, each case triggered by up to 15 conditions. Having all in separate windows seems prohibitive. It would probably take longer to find a particular window than to just switch the case ;). Most of the time I have to toggle between two cases, so an idea like this would be more helpful, similar to the "Last" button on the TV remote :D)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,209 Views)

@ altenbach

I have two monitors connected to the graphic card and I just want to see two part of the code side-by-side

and of course, able to edit them Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
(3,200 Views)

So if you press ctrl+e on the front panel, which one of the diagram windows do you want to see?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,187 Views)

I want to see a block diagram. However the separate block diagram view will popup if I want to. I hope this will be available in NXG. The idea is pretty simple and easy to implement I guess. Maybe NI was considering this is not always the case that the user should have two monitors and the block diagram and front panel have already taken up too many space.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,179 Views)