From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the NI-9870

Hello,

I'm a beginner at the labview.

Last week, I got a job for the labview.

Our purpose is to measure some environment of experiment such as temperature, pressure, etc using the NI-9870 and cRiO-9073.

My supervisor advised me to find some examples of NI-9870 and improve them to fix our purpose.

I found some examples of the NI-9870 but they are too complicated for me because they contain FPGA programs.

He said we don't need to use FPGA.

Is there any much  easier examples without FPGA programs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,745 Views)

What version of LabVIEW and FPGA are you using?  Some earlier versions required that you use FPGA with this module.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,733 Views)

If you're using a cRIO, then you are using FPGA.

Are you only using the 9870?  Seems way overkill to go to a cRIO just to have some serial ports.  You may be better off with a PCI-8430/4.  And then look for Simple Serial Input/Output examples using VISA.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,729 Views)

If you have a newer version of LV and FPGA then you can use the 9870 in scan mode.  There is one specific piece of software that will have to be installed on your cRIO to support scan mode. In scan mode you access the ports on 9870 with NI-VISA just like any other com port.  So any example that uses NI-VISA will work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,722 Views)