LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use TCP when a Client uses DHCP

Hello,

I'm using a slightly modified example from the simple TCP VI's (find attached) and am running into a few problems. I keep getting "error 56" which states that "LabVIEW:  The network operation exceeded the user-specified or system time limit."

I think the issue is that I do not know the IP address of my client (an mbed microcontroller) and the library to statically assign an IP address for this client are currently not available/broken according to their forums. 

Is there a way for the server to listen on the port I programmed for my mbed, even if I use DHCP? Also, I believe this may be arising as I haven't got my mbed configured in NI MAX, as again I do not know the IP address of the device, so I'm stuck in a bit of a hole.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,564 Views)

Well no... What you are going to have to do is either look at your DNS server and see what IP address was given to your microcontroller's MAC or IP scan the network looking for the MAC.

Here is some good news, a properly configured DNS server will hold the IP for any given MAC in "reservation" for a certain amount of time before it gives that IP address out to a different MAC. So chances are once you discover the IP address it is probably not going to change.

If you can't access your DHCP server I suggest a port scanning tool like Angry IP Scan

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,544 Views)