From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use NI 9871 in scan mode?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Sam_Sharp and William1225,

I went through this thread and hoping that you guys can help me out on my issue.  You know I am beginner of LabView and part of my project goal I need to control a heating element for heating/cooling air inside of a dryer for drying corn based on real time information of T and RH of drying air. In this connection I bought Watlow ez-zone PM6 controller and NI9871 module. I went through the supplied manuals, installed the driver but still not understand how do I configure and communicate the controller with 9871 module through Labview FPGA . Herewith I have attached the screenshot of the connections of module with ez-zone for your information. I am not sure whether I did the connection right or not. Do I need any additional hardware? I will highly appreciate your guidelines and help in this regard. FYI, I am using NI 9149 chassis (its not a cRIO controller and not able to use for RT scan mode) for plugged in the NI modules. 

Thanking you guys and looking froward to hear you.

Regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(994 Views)

I have to point out that you will not get much attention appending to a thread from 2015.  More importantly, people will ignore a thread that has been marked as Solved.  Further, your 9149/9871 combination is not similar enough to the 2015 thread to even compare configurations.

To address your issue, I believe you bought the wrong hardware.  You cannot install the 9871 into the 9149 chassis.

I built several systems using the cRIO-9067 controller with 2 NI-9144 expansion chassis and 2 NI-9871 modules.  The 9871 only operates in scan mode and is configured by a specific 987x driver that must be running on the RT controller.  When configured with the matching 987x driver on the host computer, the 4 ports are visible in MAX (see image).  Even in my configuration both 9871 modules had to be installed directly into the controller.  They were not recognized in either  expansion chassis. 

You need to buy cRIO controller that runs LabVIEW RT and install the drivers.  The code can then run on either the RT or the host.

9067SerialPorts.PNG

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(987 Views)

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your nice and clear explanation. I got my answers and seems I am playing with long hardware. I am now thinking to buy this 485USBTB-2W  converter to communicate watlow with LabView via PC and later will try to connect/combine this VI with other sensors VI configured using NI9149 chassis.

Thanking you again for your suggestions. 

Regards,

Momin

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(971 Views)