LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use IOtech/Omega Personal DAQ 56 with LabView2010

I have read some threads on this website and downloaded support via ftp://ftp.omega.com/public/DASGroup/products/OMB-DAQ5455%2656/, and I could open it in my LabView (version 2010).  However,  none of the posts teach people how to modify the support in details, so it is very difficult for a beginner w/o programming background to start using it.

I tried to follow up all the tutorials on the website to start, but so far every tutorial I have found uses NI's data acquisition devices so that it blocks me to dig in lessons like processing signals from instruments.  It seems that NI does not have any manual or tutorial of how to use a non-NI DAQ with LabView...  NI does not support the driver of this device either. 

For example, I use a signal generator to send out a +/- 5V signal to the Personal DAQ 56.  If I open the VI from the link, I can see the signal but that's it.  I can not use the signal to do anything such as triggering other devices or calculating.  Does anyone have the experience of how to expand the support file?

To make this clearer, now I am like:

signal generator --> PDAQ56 -->  Signal read/plotted in VI from LabView support file from  ftp://ftp.omega.com/public/DASGroup/products/OMB-DAQ5455%2656/

I would like to know...

signal generator --> PDAQ56 -->  Signal read/plotted in VI from LabView support file --> use the signal to do other stuff (need to expand/modify the VI)

and

signal generator --> PDAQ56 --> self-built VI from blank one --> use the signal to do other stuff

Again, I am a beginner of programming and LabView (no background of computer software/hardware).  Unfortunately, my research group does not have any funding for me to attend LabView courses, which cost $1XXX each, so I really want to know the most time/money/whatever efficient way to solve my problem.  Videos, tutorials, manuals, or so are all welcome.

Thank you for the help. I really really appreciate any kind of help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,227 Views)

I would recommend looking at the online LabVIEW tutorials
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,221 Views)

Thank you very much.  However, I had gone though them briefly when I posted my problem, and that is why I said that NI's tutorials/manuals only support its own DAQ.  Without NI's hardware, I don't see any means to do the excerises or to get familiar with LabView for DAQ/instrument practice... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,217 Views)

Those tutorials are to help you learn LabVIEW.  You said you were a beginning LabVIEW programmer.  You said "videos, tutorials, and manuals welcome".

There is a lot more to learning LabVIEW then just figuring out how a particular DAQ device works.  Very little of the LabVIEW programming I do actually uses DAQ devices.

Once you learn some LabVIEW, then maybe your mind will be able to stretch to figure out how to incorporate the DAQ devices.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,208 Views)

Yes, I appreciate that.  Again, the point here is those tutorials from NI only provides instruction of NI's own products.  I did try to follow up the tutorials you posted, but each section requires the use of NI daq devices to go on (or go deep)... I also tried to search other tutorials on NI website, but as I said, it seems impossible to get familiar with LabView without NI's hardware...  I do not have an NI daq or so, neither does my advisor plan to buy one...  so kinda desperate ...

Thank you very much again for your input.

Does anyone encounter the same problem as I do? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,203 Views)

No matter what the hardware, you are going to get standard LabVIEW data types returned and there should be no problem using that data. You say you can see the signal but can't use it. That sort of problem really needs to be more fully explained. Attaching your code would help.

If you need examples for IOTech hardware, the best place to ask is IOTech. It is impossible for NI to provide examples for the hundreds of different vendors that have LabVIEW compatible products.

Message 6 of 12
(5,196 Views)

Go here:

ftp://ftp.mccdaq.com/downloads/iotech_software/PersonalDaq50_Series/

There are LabVIEW drivers (and probably examples) and some other software tools for the personal daq series.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,189 Views)

Thank you for the information...  Yes, I had done some research before I posted the first thread, and I do have a VI for my daq.  The problem is I could only use it as a monitor to see my input signals...  I want to use those signals for other application, but the VI from IOtech is way too complicated (a lot of subVI's and clusters).  Since I am a beginner, I tried to follow up by NI's manuals/tutorials, but they only mention how to use NI-DAQ/max/etc, which only works for NI's products...

DAQ assist in LabView only works for NI's hardware, and the getting started tutorials only teach beginners how to use DAQ assist...  Is this a dead end?

I attached the VI I got from IOtech and the picture of its front/block diagrams.  If you could take a look and give me some suggestions, you are greatly appreciated!!!

P.S.

What I plan to do/learn:

1. being able to use/expand/modify the IOtech VI

or

2. being able to build a brand new VI that reads my PDAQ56 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,183 Views)

The IOTech VI is a high-level example, not a driver.  You need to go into those subVIs and understand what is going on to some extent.  Without installing everything to look at the code, there is a level to stop at - the driver level where you don't really need to fullt understand what is going on.  I don't know about IOTech, but MCC (who know owns IOTech), just calls their DLLs or has low level .NET properties and methods.  I would expect the IOTech driver calls DLLs.

Depending on how well the IOTech driver is done, you may have no choice but to understand those clusters and subVIs.  If subVIs and clusters intimidate you (the code by the way is not very complicated), you need to focus on LabVIEW training.  Don't focus on your application, focus on learning how to understand these clusters and subVIs and how they work and interact.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,147 Views)

Hi bobbylee,

I think what everyone is trying to say here is that you have the data in LabVIEW, in LabVIEW data types.  From the screenshot it appears to come out as a 2D array of singles.  If you are wanting to do processing with that data, it's just a question of how to use LabVIEW, which is why everyone is pointing your towards LabVIEW tutorials.

If what you are wanting to do is change how the measurements are taken, it's hard for us to say, but from the example, it look like you just need to alter some of the parameters going into those subVIs.

If what you want is a better understanding of the interface to the IOTech/Omega device, that is something we can't really help out with on this forum.  That's a question for IOTech/Omega.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,111 Views)