cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Data Binding on a cluster?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I just discovered data binding, and have used it on some primitive controls/indicators. I'm loving the cleanness of the approach (no extra polling and wires required!) 🙂 

Now, this page suggests that I can bind a cluster to a shared variable too. However, when I do Right Click -> Properties, I can only see the Appearance and Documentation tabs (and I know I haven't accidentally selected an element inside the cluster, because (1) it's a strict typedef, and (2) the dialog's title says "Cluster Properties"). Where can I find the Data Binding tab?

Thanks

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,717 Views)

Open the Type def and then try the data binding.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,708 Views)

Hi P@Anand,

I have multiple controls/indicators linked to that typedef, so I don't want to bind the datatype itself to a shared variable. I'd just like to bind one particular indicator to one particular shared variable -- is that possible?

EDIT:

Ok, I can think of 2 ways to do what I want, thanks to P@Anand's tip:

1. Create a new typedef that is bound to a variable (that's the wrong way round, in principle), and use that typedef for my FP
  2. Unlink the FP object from the typedef, then bind it to the variable

Either way, if I ever update my original typedef, I'll have to change it in two places Smiley Frustrated Is there any other solution? Can a typedef'ed FP object be bound to a typedef'ed SV?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,700 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

Hi JKSH,

What your are trying to do can be done if you make the .ctl file as type definition insted of a strict type definition. With a strict type definition all instances link to the same .ctl file which is why you cannot use data binding on it.  

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(3,672 Views)