LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade 5.0.1 executable to run on Windows XP?

I need to upgrade the OS on a standalone DAQ system to Windows XP.

This system is controlled by an executable created by LabVIEW 5.01 running on Windows 98.
I am not sure if we have the source code (i.e. LV vi's).

Can any one please tell me how to upgrade the system so that the LabVIEW 5.01 executable can run on Windows XP?

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,738 Views)
I would first try copying the files associated with the executable/program to the new machine in a similar directory structure follwed by installing the v5.1 run-time engine on that new machine (found here for Win2k). And then you cross your fingers and try running it. FWIW, LabVIEW .EXE files can be renamed to .LLB files and then the VIs contained therein can be seen. But if the VIs in the EXE file were not saved in the EXE with their block diagram (they usually don't include it) then you are still out of luck because they are not editable in that state. The most that this will get you is a list of the VIs that make up the system.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,727 Views)

Thanks, Warren. I will try after backing up the entire system before trying it.

Another related question, if I can find the source code in LV 5.0.1, will I be able to upgrade it to the latest LV version if I buy the LV package, or do I expect problems?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,719 Views)

I will try after backing up the entire system before trying it.

Another related question, if I can find the source code in LV 5.0.1, will I be able to upgrade it to the latest LV version if I buy the LV package, or do I expect problems?

I guess if it were me I'd just get a new compatible hard drive for the system (since they are so inexpensive these days) and swap it for the one with Win98. Install WinXP to the new drive and be sure that you are happy with the performance of the old machine under WinXP before proceeding. Then you can temporarily add the Win98 drive as an additional disk to the WinXP system and copy the files you need off of it and then set it aside again just in case you are not able to get the LabVIEW working. Swapping disk drives is MUCH faster and usually safer then creating and restoring backups. An alternate similar path is to add the new drive to the Win98 system and, using software like Norton Ghost, clone the Win98 system/disk to the new disk then pull out the old Win98 disk, boot off the cloned Win98 disk and upgrade that disk to WinXP. That way the old applications would exist under the new system and you may be able to run them without any further fuss.

The current version of LabVIEW should be able to read the old VI files. You could always download the demo and try it. As far as having problems, many people in general are not happy with one aspect or another of LabVIEW v8.0 and the patch to 8.0.1 certainly does not fix all the problems but if all you are doing is upgrading old code to run again under 8 then you'll probably be OK.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,707 Views)