From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger a TTL output with an analog input

Hello,

I have an apparatus for measuring the flame speed of various hydrocarbon/air mixtures.  The chamber uses central ignition as the means for igniting the mixture.  My goal is to film the ignition process with a high speed Phantom video camera.  I control the ignition with an analog output signal from a SCC-68 DAQ.  I would like to trigger the camera with the same signal that triggers the ignition sequence.  The camera is triggered with one TTL pulse so ideally I would connect the output analog voltage signal to an input analog voltage port that would be used to trigger a counter output that generates one pulse.

I have a sample VI that triggers a digital pulse each time the analog trigger level is met and it works for what I am trying to do but I do not understand how the two channels are connected. I also can't figure out how to make the VI end after just one pulse.  In the VI the digital counter is supposedly triggered using the /Dev1/ai/StartTrigger slot on the DAQ but nothing is connected to this slot.

I need to first figure out how to make the output_pulses_on_sine_wave.vi terminate after a single pulse is generated. Then I can try to incorporate it into the VI that I use to control the ignition and measure the temperature and pressure once the mixture is ignited.

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,834 Views)

Why not generate a single Digital Output pulse and use it to trigger both the camera and the analog output signal for the ignition? 

The SCC-68 is a terminal block. It is not a DAQ device, only the connector to it.  Please tell us what actual DAQ device you have.

Lynn

Message 2 of 4
(3,833 Views)

I am using the USB-6259, sorry for the confusion.  I would be nice if I could trigger with an analog signal to the ignition system but it is controlled with a high voltage relay that operates when 12 volts are supplied to it. It really isn't a trigger as much as powering on the high voltage relay. To control it, I have a 12 V supply line that is switched closed using a SCC-RLY module.  Could I somehow connect the 12 V supply to one of the buses and use a digital trigger to supply the 12V on command to the high voltage relay?

Thanks for the quick response. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,815 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Why not generate a single Digital Output pulse and use it to trigger both the camera and the analog output signal for the ignition? 

/agree

You could even simply export the start trigger from the analog output task.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,797 Views)