LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch the VI in the subpanel? & What if I'd like to integrate multiple applications by a main VI?

Hi

I'd like to develop an application for an single instrument such as a data logger.

For example, there are 3 pages in that application: setting, chart, table

20170406001.png

20170406002.png

20170406003.png

Originally, I used the tab control to integrate them, but many seniors do not recommend to use tab control.

As a result, I'd like to use sub-panel, and I think I should create a run-time menu for the user to switch among these three pages. 

20170327002.JPG

Sometimes I wonder if there is a better design for my application.

When I have developed some applications, one day I want to integrate all the application into one big application, I feel no idea how to build the architecture for that purpose. 

I created a main VI and placed a subpanel in the front panel, and then I'd like to call each developed application into the subpanel, the first problem is how to design the run-time menu? 

The following image illustrates my question.

I have some applications for devices, and each application has a run-time menu to switch the VI in the subpanel or to evoke some specific function.

However, when I want to use a main VI to integrate these application, the run-time menu belonging to each application will not show in the main VI, so that I have to create another run-time menu for multiple devices in the main VI. I felt a little stupid to carry out this idea. Is there a better way to do it? Any suggestion will be appreciated!! 

20170411003.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,284 Views)

RunTime Menu.pngYou can read out the menu file from the sub-vi and set the main-vi menu to this. I don't know how you can send the menu option "down" though.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 2 of 3
(2,244 Views)

One general way would be to resend all Menu event as User events and have all subpanels listen to this user event. It would be easy to implement as you basically Duplicate the menu-event as User event.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 3 of 3
(2,243 Views)