From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to store test parameters and recall

I have built a AC Motor Tester using cDAQ. The tester is in production and running well. The next step I need to tackle is to Record the test parameters that the operator is currently having to enter each time she changes to a different motor. We have several hundred different motor test specifications consisting of  22 different inputs. (1 string, 1-I16, 8-dbl, 4-Boolean, 2-I8, 1-U16). I want to set it up so if the Part Number has not been entered yet, it is recorded. If the Part Number is already in the TDMS file, all of the Value Properties are set from the data in the TDMS file.

I have wrote a small VI as to how I am trying to appraoch this problem. However, it is looking very convoluted. Is there a better way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,158 Views)

My favorite way to store that kind of parameters is INI files. Create an INI file for each new motor and store the parameters in it.

Another way is to use  XML files (there are really great XML toolkits)

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,149 Views)

When confronted with a large number of controls, I will place them in a cluster and save in an XML file.  This way, I only have to worry about wiring one thing (instead of each control).

Also, reading is easier because when you read in the XML file, just unflatten from XML and wire to the cluster.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,144 Views)