LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start real-time VI through computer VI

I am currently using cRIO 9004 realtime module to communicate back and forth with a VI on the host computer.  I am using shared variables and TCP to communicate between the realtime vi and the computer vi.  Right now I am having to start both VIs manually in order to get both VIs to communicate as they are programmed to.   I want to be able to just run the VI on the computer as the user interface.  How can I set it up on the computer VI to automatically start the realtime VI everytime it runs?  I want to be able to eventually make this into an executable file.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,573 Views)

Instead of having the computer VI start the cRIO VI whenever it starts, have the cRIO VI start running when the cRIO boots and just have the VI waiting for a connection.

I'm not sure how this works with cRIO and with 8.x, but for FieldPoint before 8.0 this meant targeting the RT device and then calling Tools>>Build Application... and checking a box which instructed the RT device to start running the VI on startup. In 8.x, you presumably need to right click the VI or the device in the project in order to deploy the VI as an executable.

(2,563 Views)

Here's a link to the RT manual on how to build and deploy an RT application and allow it to Autostart on bootup.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622D-01/lvrtconcepts/building_rtapplications/

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,554 Views)