LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start a vi without using the run button on the top left.

Is it possible to do this? Or you need to press run because it acts like a compiler/start.

I was thinking to link a control on the front panel to the run button and it'll start the vi.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,797 Views)

You can set a VI to run when opened but that's about it.

Are you trying to get rid of the toolbar for UI reasons?  You could set the VI to run on open, then wait with an event case or while loop for a front panel control to be pressed by the user before doing anything else.

--Using LV8.2, 8.6, 2009, 2012--
Message 2 of 7
(3,789 Views)

Hi,

To run the VI you can do one thing you can select the VI properties -> Execution -> run when opened.

This will run your VI whenever you open your VI.

To link your VI with some button to run you have to write some script. This script will fire Control+R command so your VI will run.

Thanks and Regards

Himanshu Goyal

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
Message 3 of 7
(3,787 Views)

Did you try a search? This question has been asked MANY times before. Here's a recent discussion:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Adding-Run-Button-to-VI/m-p/1027332

Pay special attention to reply #5

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,771 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Adding-Run-Button-to-VI/m-p/1027332

Pay special attention to reply #5

Yep, that about sums it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,747 Views)

The X-control route looks quite complicated but I think it could become a standard control. Is there one the LAVA pool?

thanks,

Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,725 Views)

@BurningH34t wrote:

Is it possible to do this? Or you need to press run because it acts like a compiler/start.

I was thinking to link a control on the front panel to the run button and it'll start the vi.

Thanks

You haven't said yet what your primary purpose is here.  It doesn't make any sense to do that.  But if you are just trying to prevent an action or process from occurring until a user event takes place, that's easy enough.  Just use an event structure to respond to button presses on the fp.  This will be much more efficient than running in a loop that does nothing, until an action occurs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,703 Views)