From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set the commond-mode voltage for PXI-6229

Solved!
Go to solution

So I am using the PXI-6229 to capture 3 different signals, and then analyze them in LabView; one signal is an AC voltage output, and the other 2 are sensor voltages (~5.7V). I have noticed that when the AC voltage exceeds the Maximum Working Voltage the voltages of the 2 sensors become unreliable. Through some reading and poking around on Google, it appears that if I can apply a voltage to the Common pin of the board then I will be able to measure the larger voltages - but I am not sure if this will fix the issue I am having.

When the AC voltage signal hits ~10.6V both of the sensor signals go to that same value, despite being wired to a 5.7V power source. Any help and/or clarification on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,091 Views)
Solution
Accepted by doca_walka

What you really want to do is attenuate that AC signal by a known amount before it get to the card. Say divide by 2, then multiply your measurement value by 2 in software to account for the attenuation.

Have a look here for how to setup a voltage attenuator.. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/vdivac.html

Craig

Message 2 of 3
(2,054 Views)

Yeah, I ended up rectifying the signal and then running it through a voltage divider, and then multiplying that amount back in the software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,050 Views)