LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to seperate 2 signals whose frequency are close

Hello everyone, 

Now my system has inputs of two sinusoidal signals combined whose frequency are close to each other and amplitude are same, one is 100KHz, the other is 100K +10 Hz.

I need to calculate the signal phase using Cordic in NI 7972 FPGA module, either 100K or 100K+10Hz. My plan is to filter out 100K+10Hz, and measure 100KHz. But I was wondering if the filter in FPGA can do that precisely and fast. I need the feedback to be MHz level. 

So guys, please advice me. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,175 Views)

You can filter on an FPGA.  See if this will do: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599P-01/lvfpga/fpga_butterworth_filter/

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,142 Views)

Hi terry, 

thanks for the reply. 

I doubt whether the butterworth filter can filter the signal that precisely, because 10Hz is relatively too small for 100KHz. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,047 Views)

@zyb1003 wrote:

Hi terry, 

thanks for the reply. 

I doubt whether the butterworth filter can filter the signal that precisely, because 10Hz is relatively too small for 100KHz. 

Thanks

Make a digital mixer and down convert the frequency. For a 10 Hz separation you will need at least a 300ms time constant to be able to accurately separate them. It may be possible in theory with a 100 ms time constant, but probably not likely.

(For example if you mix your signal with a 99kHz sine wave, your 100kHz will be at 1kHz and you 100.01kHz signal will be at 1.01kHz, this assumes you low pass filter after the mixer.)

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,037 Views)

Might the Goertzel Algorithm be helpful?

(Not something I've done or even read closely enough to claim I understand.  I was just intrigued by your problem and came across it during some brief searching.  It sounded like it *might possibly* be helpful for a case like yours where a full FFT might be too slow or memory-intensive.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 5 of 10
(2,035 Views)

@zyb1003 wrote:

Hi terry, 

thanks for the reply. 

Thanks

Add it and test it out in simulation mode.

Otherwise, check out https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/fir_compiler/v7_2/pg149-fir-compiler.p... (available via LabVIEW FPGA)

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,032 Views)

@Kevin_Price wrote:

Might the Goertzel Algorithm be helpful?

(Not something I've done or even read closely enough to claim I understand.  I was just intrigued by your problem and came across it during some brief searching.  It sounded like it *might possibly* be helpful for a case like yours where a full FFT might be too slow or memory-intensive.)

-Kevin P

This is where you use lock-in amplifiers, or  mixers and down-converters. You need to think radio here. Your FM stations are only separated by 100kHz.

You can make a mixer on the FPGA, I have done it before.

For a FFT, you need at least 100ms of data, and hope you have hardly any spectral leakage. In reality, depending on SNR you probably need a 1 second of data.

But if you down convert the signal to 1 and 1.01kHz, now you can digitize at a much lower rate, and continuously without needing an insane amount of storage.

mcduff

Message 7 of 10
(2,028 Views)

Thanks for the reply. 

However, I need my feedback loop to be 1MHz or faster. So that means I need the filtered signal value updated every 1us.

When I run my fpga code, the filter loop fastest sample rate can be 5MHz. Now I downconvert the signal  frequency to DC and 10Hz. Now How can I filter the 10Hz part and only have DC?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,950 Views)

@zyb1003 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

However, I need my feedback loop to be 1MHz or faster. So that means I need the filtered signal value updated every 1us.

When I run my fpga code, the filter loop fastest sample rate can be 5MHz. Now I downconvert the signal  frequency to DC and 10Hz. Now How can I filter the 10Hz part and only have DC?

Thanks

When you mix two sine waves you get sums and differences; typically people want to down convert the signal to a lower range so they use a low pass filter to get rid of the "sum" signal. You now have a difference frequency of 10Hz, I think, if you just want DC use a low pass filter. However, the value of your filter will take 3-5 time constants to be steady. So if you set a 1 Hz filter, then you need to wait 5 s before the output is stable.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,942 Views)

I seperated a 200% AM modulated signal (results in two sines at nearly same frequency) with two sine fits (or tone detection) in sequence. the first run 'locks' to one frequency and the residual is used for the second one.

Found my first try with tone detection 🙂 (the task was to demodulate 😉 )

Not clear if the frequencies are known and 'only' the phases are important or ??

and what parameters are to be monitored fast and what parameters change 'slowly'.

With 10Hz difference you would need at least a quarter of a periode (2.5ms) better a full periode (10ms) to get all parameters.

If a faster controller is needed you would need a internal model with all prior knowledge and adapt predictions...

If the exact frequencies are known, a least square sine fit for amplitude and phase is quickly done in a FPGA...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,912 Views)