From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to scan COM ports and get their information such as location using Labview?

Solved!
Go to solution

@RTSLVU wrote:

All this talk about the "Hit button" and keyboards? Wow talk about clouding the issue guys...

Here's what I see...

1. The OP has some unknown devices connected via serial
  2. The OP is using Bluetooth adapter(s?) 
  3. The OP wants to know what virtual serial ports were assigned and what device is on what serial port

Lets forget about trying to figure out what BT adapter is plugged into what USB port and concentrate on identifying what device is on what serial port. Because that is what the OP really needs to know.

My question to the OP is what are the devices that you are connecting via serial?

Is there any type of query you can use to identify them?

You see, it's not really clouding the issue.  The OP stated that there is no way to return a unique identifier from any of the devices; therefore, this discussion about how to detect an event on a device to show where it is.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 31 of 34
(809 Views)

@RTSLVU Yeah, I just had a play around with the BLEGUI and you can get a Bluetooth address for the receiver, seems like it's unique for each so I will try that and see how it goes. 

Thanks.

Message 32 of 34
(784 Views)

I am using 4 BLED112 BLE dongles which simulate serial communication. I have them distributed inside a room, I need to monitor parameters from a board using bluetooth, this board will move around the room so I need to know where the signal is coming from (which receiver). It's all good when I set it up for the first time but if the computer restarts, loses power then some or all the COM ports get swapped. That's the problem. 

It seems like each receiver has an specific bluetooth address though so I will try to use that to identify them. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 34
(780 Views)

@dadest100 wrote:

I am using 4 BLED112 BLE dongles which simulate serial communication. I have them distributed inside a room, I need to monitor parameters from a board using bluetooth, this board will move around the room so I need to know where the signal is coming from (which receiver). It's all good when I set it up for the first time but if the computer restarts, loses power then some or all the COM ports get swapped. That's the problem. 

It seems like each receiver has an specific bluetooth address though so I will try to use that to identify them. 

Cheers

You might have to sniff the serial bus and see what the actual command sequence is when you press that "get address" button in the GUI.

When I was using HC-05 BT modules you have to first put the module in "command mode" I believe by sending "*AT" and it returned a different prompt or something like that (otherwise the commands would just be sent through to the serial device) then all the actual commands started with a "*".

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 34
(772 Views)