From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reset NI CAN card 8513/2

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I ‘m using NI CAN card 8513/2 with Labview and TestStand 2012 in a very hi volume production environment.

The problem I have is although I use “ncClose.vi”  to close the ObjHandle in at the end of test sequence, never the less when the next UUT run the ObjHandle in number increments (starts from 17, 18, 19...). Any Idea why and how I can stop this from happening?

Best Regards

Mehran Fard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,527 Views)

Why does it matter what the value of ObjHandle is?  In newer NI drivers NI actually does this with classes so that the class wire has no information in it other then what NI wants to expose.  One reason to do this is so developers don't look into what the value of the reference is just like you are doing right now.  The value of the reference or object is not important, what is important is that you use that same reference or object wire is connected to the next functions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,515 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

The main concern is that the volume for this product is over 2 million/year for next ten years and potentially this reference number can get out of hand. I appreciate that the chance of this to happen and tester running nonstop for next ten is low  but it was a concern.

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards

Mehran Fard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,507 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fardm44

Create a test, where you continually open then close a CAN port and run it.  I suspect that the number will wrap around at some point and reuse the values.  If you ask NI if you can open and close a CAN port a million times I'm sure they will say yes.  The series 2 CAN hardware is relativly old and I'm sure has been used in testers for the past 10 years or so some maybe non-stop.  I wouldn't worry too much, but like I said run some tests if you are conserned.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,503 Views)