From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace controls and indicators of a certain type automatically on a set of VIs

Hi,

I'm working on old LabVIEW 2010 Project.

What I dont really understand is that most of the VIs have an input and output related to class well integrated to the project and this class seems to work seamlessly.

However, on all those of VIs mentioned above, none of them is displaying the class, like if the class was lost while it's actually not.

Block Diagram.pngBlock Diagram.png

When opening one of those VIs, LabVIEW is not bothering to look around and check the class is available and just directly display the gray icon.

Is there anyway to force a check on that in order to make LabVIEW searching the class which is sitting next to those VIs?

Or maybe just a LabVIEW script to replace automatically all the Controls and Indicators, called Communication In and Communication Out on the Front Panel using the class?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,982 Views)
When you open the VI LabVIEW should ask you to find things that are missing. If you have this VI open and manually open the class that is missing, does LabVIEW update the missing controls?

If you double click one of the missing controls, what happens?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,960 Views)

also if you use help (ctrl+H) and move your cursor on that controls and indicator  help window show the name of them and you can search for that name in your computer may you could find them !
so  you cab save your vi with this control and indicator and lavbiew will not ask you to find them for next time that you open the vi
I hope I could understand well what your mean is !?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,940 Views)

My point is that I don't have the usual popup searching for the missing files when opening those VIs...

About the context help window, I have sonething like that below:

Front Panel part B.png

When creating a new VI with this so-called Communication class as a Control  and as an Indicator and save it then open it I don't have any problem but the othersVIs  that I have inherited are all like the pic above... can't really get what's going on.

I haven't touched the definition of the class so far. It does not make sense to, why LabVIEW cannot figure out what is proper Control and Indicator to put on both Front Panel and Block Diagram while it is aware of which class it's supposed to look for in the project.

Front Panel part C.png

NonSense.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,928 Views)

the only thing that I could imagine as reason cause this is that some part of your LV file are missed in your driver that you install labview

did you try to repair your labview by add and remove Windows ?!
it take time but it could fix your problem 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,886 Views)

Seems it's really related to the VIs.

Anyway, I went with automation for replacing (it works for that at least) the controls.

Still I feel bad thatI could not find the root cause of this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,747 Views)