cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove serial number from a PC?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I had previously activated some NI products on a PC using my serial number. Now, I'm transferring ownership of the PC to someone else, so I've deactivated the products. However, the serial number is still recorded somewhere in the PC: In the NI License Manager, when I select Activate -> Use a Web browser... it auto-fills the fields with my serial number.

How do I wipe this serial number from the PC?

Thanks!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(12,033 Views)
Please check this, it might be helpful
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6BF2C6CF85611A7B86257107005DEEFA
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(12,022 Views)

Hi uday,

I've already done that. My products are deactivated; the license files are gone.

HOWEVER, my serial number still appears automatically when someone tries to activate anything. This is the same problem as http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-completely-delete-a-Serial-Number-from-a-PC/td-p/666896, but Nick's answer does NOT address the issue.

How do I stop my serial number from getting auto-filled into activation wizard, without wiping the entire hard drive?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(11,985 Views)
Did you try the method suggested by manually removing licenses for NI license manager versions earlier than 3.1??
-What is your license manager version?
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(11,974 Views)

Why don't you uninstall all of your LabVIEW products so that they don't exist on the PC to be able to be reactivated?

Why don't you wipe the entire hard drive?

If I was giving my PC to someone else, or getting a PC from someone else, I would want it wiped clean and everything reinstalled fresh.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(11,974 Views)

@uday: Yes, there are no more traces of the license files. I have NI License Manager 3.7. (But even though the license files are gone, my serial number remains)

@RavensFan: Because this is a brand new PC which forms part of a product I developed for a customer. I activated the Development versions of LabVIEW and TestStand for debugging purposes, just like this guy 5 years ago. Now I want to ship the system to the customer with LabVIEW RTE and the TestStand Base Deployment License in place, without undoing and redoing the work I've done on it.

Well, suppose I completely uninstall all NI software. I get the impression that if my customer decides to install their own copy of NI software on this PC, the first thing they'll see in the activation wizard is my serial number, which is stored somewhere in the PC. I'd like to find out where the serial number is stored, so that I can wipe it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(11,963 Views)
-First of all, i think NI will not let you know where they store serial number.
-After de-activating all NI modules and un installing all NI products, it might clear the serial number.
-Best thing is try un installing all of NI products and check yourself installing again and then see if it shows the same or it will ask for serial number in blank space.
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(11,942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

It is stored in the Windows Registry, at least for my 2013 installation. You can search for it there, suggest you create a backup of the registry before you edit it with regedit.exe.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 8 of 10
(11,918 Views)

there are many reasons why someone do not want the serial # layed out. Simple, JUST CAUSE. Just answer thge question. It is simple, BTW this is bs site. What do u think? emakil me

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(10,941 Views)

Hi mdegroot2015@twc.com,

There really isn't any reason to be snotty or rude - it creates an unfriendly environment.

Also, there is a forum that answers this question already (a simple Google search brings it up).

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Simple-way-to-fully-remove-all-traces-of-LabVIEW-s-serial-number/td...

There is a description for how to do what AnalogKid2DigitalMan suggested.  I've taken the time to copy the description here.

1. Select Start»Run..., enter regedit and hit Enter
  2. Select File»Export to back up your registry.
  3. Press Ctrl+F to bring up the search window.
  4. Search for your serial number and delete the entries containing it

Regards,

GHBIV

Message 10 of 10
(10,866 Views)