From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce noise/smooth out frequency graph

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello! I have a text file that contains a signal. I had it read in a format of waveforms and plotted the signal in the time domain. I then put the waveform through the PSD vi in order to graph the waveform in the frequency-domain. This graph has a lot of noise in it so I want to have a smoother graph.

One possible way to smooth the graph is to take the average of a few points at each time interval and graph the new values. So I took the waveform signal and split it into x(time) and y(amplitude) arrays. I then took the fourier transform of the amplitude and took the absolute value of it.

From here, I am trying to create a design where I would have the average of the fourier transform values taken every 3 points and then add these points into an array. I would then plot this new array, spaced out evenly between 0 and the end point of the original frequency-domain graph, thereby having a smoother plot.

My design went horribly wrong, however. The resulting graph goes crazy while plotting a straight line and I am also not sure how to have the points evenly spaced out until the original frequency graph's end point. So I have attached my vi and my signal text file and was wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem. Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,011 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author xcontradictorx

Yes, it went wrong.  You create a series of arrays of increasing length and constant value.  A 3-point smoothing filter is easy to implement with a shift register.  See the image below.

Lynn

Smoothing.png

Message 2 of 3
(6,001 Views)

It works perfectly! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,972 Views)