LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reanimate turned off/on instruments while LV is running

Hello,

i have some instruments that are used with VISA over LAN.

If Labview and all instruments are on before labview is started everything is fine.

If one instrument is turned off and on after Labview is startet then i never get it back to communicate.

Is there a command to "reset" a ip-adress to talk again?

Currently i have to quit labview that the instruments work again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,363 Views)

You should be able to just close your VISA session and then open it up again.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,359 Views)

Did you try to establish the communication again after some time? I didn't use VISA over LAN, but I saw similar behavior with TCP/IP socket communication. We have a test program running on a WIndow 7 PC which talks to a CompactRIO over TCP/IP. If we reset the CompactRIO for some reason, we cannot establish communication on the same TCP/IP port for about 90 seconds, if I remember correctly.

This has nothing to do with LabVIEW. Windows releases the used TCP/IP port after specific timeout, if it was not closed properly. I even don't know if this is just Windows or also other operating systems.

Maybe your VISA issue is different, but you can try to close the previous session and reopen it after about 2 minutes. You can display all active TCP connections using netstat in command prompt window.

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,323 Views)
It would be easier to see what the problem is if we could see the code.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,303 Views)