LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to realtime retrieve or monitor measurements via Labview

Hi guys,

I am trying to use Labview to realtime plot s-parameters of VNA measurements in my laptop, just like we can realtime plot signals measured by Oscilloscope. Does anyone try this before? I found some examples for VNA e5017c, but they can only read the marker's values not for all measurement results.

Jacob. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,038 Views)
If you are wanting to do it without any external hardware, that would be a lot of work, though I guess it would technically be possible.

If you are planning on using an external network analyzer that is doing the data collection for you, it would be pretty easy.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,974 Views)

The phrase "realtime" has a precise meaning in the LabVIEW world, including a precise and predictable determinism.  You cannot have a "Real-Time" environment if you are (only) running under Microsoft Windows, which controls the "clock" and the scheduling of all the threads.

If you want a "reasonably accurate" set of data that are being produced by a clocked process (such as DAQ equipment with an on-board clock, or an external instrument that does its own timing), it is certainly possible to have LabVIEW produce plots, save data to disk, etc. with a reasonably-close correspondence between "when the data arrived" and "when the data are shown/saved/etc."

Notice the word "reasonably" in the previous sentence.  There will be (unknown, and potentially unknowable) variation in the timing of your data processing code (with luck, good programming, and the cooperation of the rest of the code running in your PC, this should be in the few-millisecond range) -- it is up to you to decide what you can tolerate.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,958 Views)

@liuchunchih wrote:

Hi guys,

I am trying to use Labview to realtime plot s-parameters of VNA measurements in my laptop, just like we can realtime plot signals measured by Oscilloscope. Does anyone try this before? I found some examples for VNA e5017c, but they can only read the marker's values not for all measurement results.

Jacob. 

Grab the programmer's guide, find a nice quiet corner and start reading.  😉

I'm not sure you will be able to achieve what you want though, because of the time it takes to send the plot data.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,929 Views)