From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read write tags from multiple PLCs with sdsc

Hi,

I know how to read / write to tags of a single PLC. I need to read from and write to multiple PLCs which are in different equipment. Each may have twenty or more tags. Each PLC has a different IP address on the LAN. Can any one guide me on how to do so? Some PLCs are Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 with addresses like N7:0, N10:3, O:0/4 etc and some are Mitsubishi or ABB. Thanks in advance.

Regds

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,092 Views)

Hi Paul,

Here are a few links which might be helpful:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7450

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5407

Please let us know if you need anything more.

Have a wonderful day.

Krishna Prasad

Message 2 of 3
(2,058 Views)

Thanks KrishnaPrasad.

I have some peculiar or naive questions. Such questions seem to arise as I continue to work with NI OPC.

1. At times I need to add new instruments ( and hence new ip address and different tags) to the OPC server. I can write an XML file with the new tags added to the earlier ones of other instruments. Now I have to shut down the server and restart it to load the additional tags also into the OPC server. Do I need to shut down all my dotnet controls, groups, disconnect from OPC server, etc., quit the dotnet application and then restart or.... can I restart the OPC server without shutting down the dotnet application?

1a. Will the dotnet application hang as it recieves no data / response from the OPC server. Any example code  that handles this situation?

2. If the communication between the PLC and the PC running the OPC server and dot net application and MS SQL server (all on same PC) is cut due to someone turning off the switch/router/hub and then restored say 30 minutes later (when noticed by somebody), will the OPC server hang (since it recieves no response to its polls?

My dot net application needs to store the acquired data for additional statistical calculations that are not available by default in NI.

3. How do I change the captions on the standard NI Menu bar (also add/remove items on that bar and the drop down menus) fit my custom requirements? The run time creation of mouse click pop ups does not interest me.

Regds

Paul NI

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,055 Views)