LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read the actual z cursor position in a 3D surface when the x and y positions where set programmatically

I set the x and y cursor position in a 3D surface with a property node. The cursor is shown at the right new position but the z Value is not recalculated. How can I force LabVIEW to recalculate?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,633 Views)

Hi visablocked,

which 3D graph do you use in your application?

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,591 Views)

I use 3D Surface: Graph -> 3D Graph -> Surface

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,589 Views)

Hi code-lux,

I did some research with the Surface 3D Graph. You can read or write the cursors Z position the same way you set the X and Y position. In the property node you can also select the cursors z position and read or write it. To change the access mode of a connection of the property node, right click it and select "Change to Read/Write".

I attached a screenshot, how my code looks like.

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,581 Views)

Hi Melaniee

Thanks for your efforts. This is exactly what I have. The problem is now that the z position that you get from the property node is not the right z position for the cursor position you just set with the property node but it is the z position that corresponds to the last position set by dragging the cursor with the mouse.

I called NI support and it seems like it is not possible to use the cursor in that way. I was recommended to calculate the value from the data that is fed in to the graph. This is what I'll do.

Nevertheless all the z positions including the interpolated values are in memory for the display of the 3D surface and there should be a way to access them. Any hints how to do that are highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,564 Views)

Hi code-lux,

maybe you could try to set the initial cursor position at the start of your program to (0|0|0) via the property node. Afterwards you can continue calculating the current position of the cursor using the relative data from the property node.

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,538 Views)