From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prompt user to name a new Excel CSV file and AVI video?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, my project is about tracking moving objects with my webcam. I have managed to accomplish the main goal of my project. However, I'm stuck with this file path problem.

My program is suppose to store the coordinates of the moving object in an Excel file. After that, it will also save a copy of the captured video of the moving object in AVI format. 

However, I can't figure out how to have the program automatically make a new CSV file to store coordinates. For now, I have to manually make a blank CSV file and have the LabView program select that CSV file and store the coordinates there. Any tips?

Besides that, I have no idea how to create a new AVI file for the LabView to write the captured images onto. 

Please help guys. Thanks for everything 🙂

I have included my LabView coding/file here. Please take a look at least.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,978 Views)

Missing subVIs.  Where is the code where you are saving to the CSV?  If using the Open/Create/Replace File function, there is an input for actions to take.  One of the options is the Create.  I imagine there is a similar input for the Create AVI VI (I do not have any vision installed to check).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,971 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cres2608

By default, a File browser control set to be able to select existing files. You can can change this behaviour to accept "New" file (see screenshot below).

Had a quick look at your code. I strongly recommend you to learn LV, take Core 1 and Core 2 online courses. You really need to learn about State Machines and patterns to properly decouple DAQ from the other tasks like file saving. One very useful design pattern is the Producer/Consumer one...

selection1.png

Message 3 of 3
(2,969 Views)