From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open a VI-frontpanel by clicking a controlbutton

Hello

Since two weeks,I'm new at LV but I have already a big project to make for my school thesis. There are already problems but I want to solve them step by step.

But, to proceed, I have to sove one big bottleneck:

problem: I have to create a program that is able to calculate a waterpumpefficiëncy, by measuring the pressure with a sensor PTX1400 and the flow, with a PT878. They are connected to the PC with a DAQ ENET9219card. The power is measured with a FLUKE434. All connections work good but what I want is next:

Is it possible to create in the frontpanel a menu with the buttons (NEW MEASUREMENT) where you first have to say which pump it is and its characteristics and a button (OPEN SAVED MEASUREMENT? I think I have to work with two different subVI's that have to be opened. Or is there a possibility to open two new frontpanels in the current VI which can be activated by making your choise (new measurement or open saved measurement)?

I really appreciate your help.

kind regards, Jef

PS: My English is not great but I hope you 'understand' my question.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,176 Views)

I would create two VI's

NEW MEAS : which has the property "open front panel when opened", which allows you to say which pump it is and its characteristics 

OPEN : which has the property "open front panel when opened", which gives you the possibility to open a saved measurement

YOu don't have to do anything programmatically to open the front panels of the two VI's when hitting the buttons.

Just use a Event structure and place the subVI's you've created in the correct Event.  When "open front panel when opened" is set to TRUE, they will open up automatically

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
Message 2 of 4
(2,158 Views)

Bjorn

thanks for the information, I think it will be usefull. Though I still have some questions. I've search more than an hour to find property "open front panel when opened" but till now, no success.

And second, the event structure, which you mentioned didn't existed in the execution control menu..

tnx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,144 Views)

1) VI Properties => more info can be found here

2) More about event structures can be found here but is NOT included in LabVIEW base

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,140 Views)