From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain which element changed in a clusters using events?

Solved!
Go to solution

@Ben wrote:

While all of the above are sound there is another option.

Register different events for each of the things in the cluster.

Let LV detect the change so when the event for the contained item changes we know exactly what needs to be done and no reverse engineering required.

Ben

Do you mean to get a reference for each control in the cluster and register an event for each one(s) you care about?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,482 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Let LV detect the change so when the event for the contained item changes we know exactly what needs to be done and no reverse engineering required.

Ben

Do you mean to get a reference for each control in the cluster and register an event for each one(s) you care about?

Yes if you are doing dynamic event registration but as a simple example we can create an event from the Event Config screen.

Event_Within_Cluster.png

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,475 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@billko wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Ben

Yes if you are doing dynamic event registration but as a simple example we can create an event from the Event Config screen.

Event_Within_Cluster.png

Ben

Oh, right.  It's been so long since I actually operated on a control directly, I forgot you can do that.  *blush*

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,470 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Ben

This is exactly what I already have. See my topic start and the attached vi. The whole reason I opened this topic is to find if there is another way that is more dynamic and scalable.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,442 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Basjong53

You can register the elements (recursively) in the cluster dynamically. That would make it dynamic and scalable:

Cluster Elements Event.png

Message 15 of 21
(1,436 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

You can register the elements (recursively) in the cluster dynamically. That would make it dynamic and scalable:

This looks like an elegant solution. However your vi freezes after 2 event triggers on my machine. LabVIEW 2018 32bit.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,408 Views)

@Basjong53 wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

This looks like an elegant solution. However your vi freezes after 2 event triggers on my machine. LabVIEW 2018 32bit.

The event structure need to be in a while loop... The post is just a quick muck-up.

Message 17 of 21
(1,402 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Basjong53 wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The event structure need to be in a while loop... The post is just a quick muck-up.

Of course I put the code inside a while loop. After fiddling around a little I discovered that inserting the Reg Events node inside the while loop causes it to freeze. Placing it outside solves it. Thanks for this code!

Cluster Elements Event While.png

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,393 Views)

You should be able to unregister, re-register inside the event structure. That can be convenient to enable\disable functionality.

Haven't tried inside the loop, as it doesn't seem too useful. Not sure why that would hang. If it's consistent, it could be a bug. Unregistering each iteration might help...

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,385 Views)

This Nugget by Ton talks about dynamic event registration and is where I first learned how to use them.

I have used dynamic event registration in a loop to reduce distractions... I should explain a bit I suppose.

Say I have 200 RT targets I am watching and controlling from a single "master".

I use UDP broadcast messages to discover the RT units and then I have to let dedicated background VI open TCP connections to work with each RT system. So I need a method to let each dynamically created monitoring loop that the RT system they are looking for has been discovered.

So the UDP code uses a User Event to let all of the monitoring loops about the newly discovered RT system. The Monitoring loops use dynamic event registration to listen for an event letting them know about the RT system. Nothing earthshaking I know.

But once a monitoring loop has made a connection to the RT system it wants to talk to, it unregisters for the User Event as long as it has a valid TCP connection. Once connected it does not care about any other discoveries.

Now if a TCP connection fails, the monitoring loop re-registers again for the User Event so it can reconnect when the RT system comes back on-line.

Why bother with that?

If I have 200 RT systems all advertising themselves once every couple of seconds, that would be a lot of wasted CPU cycles to service the User Events and then decide to ignore it because it is already connected.

Now regarding the lock-up...

Yes unregistering may be the ticket but the other trivia not mentioned yet is if we right-click the event registration terminal, we find the option "lock FP" is true by default.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,367 Views)