From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move project item quickly

Solved!
Go to solution

If I have many items in a project, and can't show all items in my screen, How can I move the DAQmx Create channel (AO-Voltage-Basice).vi below DAQmx Create Channel (CO-Pulse Generation-Ticks).vi.

And Actor Framework.lvlibp included in vi.lib folder in dependencies can't be moved into project. Is there a way to move it?

wisdoms_1-1636685742427.png

wisdoms_2-1636685796080.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,662 Views)

I have idea to move items in vi.lib to project. Just click add file on shortcut menu at project.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,656 Views)

Why would you even want to do this and totally screw up the installation for everyone else who uses that computer???  This is almost like moving something from the System32 folder.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,615 Views)

I may be mistaken, but I don't think OP wants to move files on disk, he just wants easier access to files in his project. For that, it should be relatively easy to move items out of Dependencies. You can right-click on any folder under My Computer and choose Add > File... and browse to a file on disk you want to add. If it happens to be in Dependencies, it will be moved out of Dependencies and into the location you right-clicked. That's how I moved the DAQmx Create Channel VI from Dependencies into the 'Useful vi.lib VIs' virtual folder in this screenshot:

proj.png

Message 4 of 10
(1,606 Views)

@Darren wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I don't think OP wants to move files on disk, he just wants easier access to files in his project. For that, it should be relatively easy to move items out of Dependencies. You can right-click on any folder under My Computer and choose Add > File... and browse to a file on disk you want to add. If it happens to be in Dependencies, it will be moved out of Dependencies and into the location you right-clicked. That's how I moved the DAQmx Create Channel VI from Dependencies into the 'Useful vi.lib VIs' virtual folder in this screenshot:

proj.png

Oh, I get it.  Not physically move the files...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,598 Views)

What you are describing is a feature, not a bug.  What you see in the Project Tree are the VIs, TypeDefs, Classes, etc. that you create.  These, in turn, use Functions (and other code) that comes with LabVIEW, many of them "hidden" in the National Instruments folders in C:\Program Files, specifically to not burden you with seeing them in the Project listing.  Imagine if the canonical C "Hello, World" program also showed you lists of all of the behind-the-scenes routines that handle the keyboard, screen, character i/o, etc. ...

When you get to be very experienced in LabVIEW, you might develop a set of Tools or Procedures that you (and/or your colleagues) use all the time.  You might create a "library" of such tools, and want to provide this "Tool" for your colleagues to use.  [For a list of hundreds of such libraries, check out the LabVIEW Tools Network].  You might package your Tools using the VI Package Manager (not to be confused with the NI Package Manager!) and install them in your LabVIEW system using VIPM -- this "hides" the VIs, themselves, in the LabVIEW program files (often in user.lib or vi.lib) and puts convenient Short Cuts to the VIs in the Block Diagram Palettes.  Any that you actually use in your LabVIEW code will show up as a "Dependency" and can be seen under "Dependencies" in the Project viewer.  I strongly recommend leaving them, semi-hidden, there.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,560 Views)

Yes, the second question has been solved. And the remain question is how can I move a vi from A position to B position quickly case that A and B position can't show up on a screen at the same time. In other software, I might want to use ctrl+x and ctrl+v. But LabVIEW IDE don't have this feature. The example is showing below. And please imaging that all items as can't be collapsed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,546 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wisdoms

Ideally you'd be able to drag the item in the project window, and have it scroll if you want the item to go to a position off-screen. Unfortunately, there's a bug in LabVIEW that prevents this. Fortunately, the bug was fixed in LabVIEW 2021.

Message 8 of 10
(1,540 Views)

Can it be fixed also in LabVIEW 2020? It's really annoying...

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,271 Views)

Get a larger monitor?  (Don't get me wrong - in spite of my humorous approach, I hate this bug.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,263 Views)