From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a tank fill until a certain shutoff level

I am new to LabView and was hoping someone could help me to make a tank so that it fills at a constant rate until the tank reaches a set level, at which the tank will stop filling.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,477 Views)

Are you talking about a real tank controlled by LabVIEW or just a simulation using a tank indicator?

If you are new to LabVIEW, the first thing would be to go over the tutorials. Have you done that?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,464 Views)

I am just talking about a simulation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,429 Views)

You should have no problem doing that after completing the tutorials. What did you try and where did you get stuck?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,423 Views)

In summary, you need a state machine, keeping the tank level in a shift register. One state would be "filling" and one would be "not filling" Do a comparison operation on the current level with the full mark and switch states accordingly. Increment the level in the filling state, but wire across unchanged in the other case. You might also account for tank leaks, and slowly drop the level at regular intervals if nothing happens otherwise. See how far you get.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,382 Views)