LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to label/name a wire output from a case diagram

I like how Labview displays the "name" of a wire - when it shows the right name!  Sometimes when a wire leaves a Case diagram, I notice it has the name of the wire in one case when I would prefer it to have the name from one of the other cases, and I wonder if I have worked out which case it uses - the last case.  The problem is that the typical Boolean Case diagram only has 2 cases, and you can't re-arrange the cases, except if you add a dummy case, rearrange, then delete the dummy case.  The attached VI illustrates the difference in the name of the blue wire (use the mouse hovering over the wire to see it). (LV 8.2.1)

I think it would be nice if we could label the output tunnel of case diagrams (and hence the wire emerging from it).  It wouldn't need to be a visible label, but it would help to document the code.  What do you think?

Message Edited by pauldavey on 06-07-2007 12:48 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,708 Views)
It looks like it just names the wire after whatever is the name of the constant inside the last case you created. If you replace your case structures with stacked sequences (this will break some wires), note that whatever is the name in your frame 1 is the name of the wire outside of the structure.  And the name of the wire outside of the structure will change to the name of whichever wire is not broken inside the structure.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,698 Views)
Their are two solutions:
  1. Right click the wire, select description and add a description. It will show up in the help window
  2. Type cast the wire to a constant with the correct name
Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 3 of 4
(4,691 Views)

A picture is worth thousand words:

Ton

Message Edited by TonP on 06-07-2007 08:08 AM

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 4 of 4
(4,686 Views)