From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know computer ID

Hi everybody

I want to programatically know the computer ID. Is there any vi available?

Thanks in advance for help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,081 Views)
Maybe this is what you're looking for.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,075 Views)
The attached VI gives the computer name but I am interested in Computer ID which is 16 digit unique no. ( four set of four worded alpha-numeric word separted with dash).

Thanks for answer anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,065 Views)
Maybe I forgot some things about IDs but there are various IDs for a computer (for example: network-name, ip-adress, mac-adress).

What kind of ID do you want and how can you see it in other ways?
Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,057 Views)
Humm
from the gospel
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=88461&requireLogin=False

chow
xseadog
Message 5 of 8
(8,058 Views)
Hi,

It is not possible to know the Computer ID using LabVIEW. However you can find the Computer ID using the NI License Manager :

From NI License Manager (Start»Programs»National Instruments»NI License Manager), go to Options»Display Computer ID. The computer ID will be displayed.

Regards,

Ankita

Message 6 of 8
(8,015 Views)

It sounds like you are wanting the MAC address. You can get this by using System Exec.vi to execute the command:

ipconfig /all

Then parse from the result the "physical address". Try the same command from the command prompt and you can see what comes back. One potentially important point. If you have a computer that has multiple ways of connecting to a network (like a laptop that can dial-in or use a hard-wire LAN) the same computer can have different MAC addresses depending on how you connect.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 7 of 8
(8,001 Views)

While Amkita's post does not retrieve information "programmatically", Mike Porter's post gives an elegant LabVIEW solution to get the MAC address, and it solves my requirement to ensure my application does not migrate perfectly. I love how the NI community has grown in the decades that I have been working with NI products!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,988 Views)