From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to interface USB-SA124B signal hound in labview using NI-VISA?

I have to communicate with USB-SA124B Signal hound through USB and read its frequency and amplitude using NI-VISA function. But here I am unable to find the VISA resource name of the this signal hound receiver. Have you any solution for this? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,207 Views)

Hello

I am attaching link for both types of communications (programmatically and via NI MAX). This links for sure will help you.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,946 Views)

The way Hamlet recommends to you is most likely not the way you do want to control that device. VISA USB Raw, while technically possible to use for interfacing to most TCP/IP instruments, is a very cumbersome and problematic way of communicating to a USB device. You will need a detailed low level USB protocol level description from the manufacturer (something most manafucturers simply don't have available or don't want to provide) and implement the entire USB protocol too!!!

Now, Signal Hound advertizes two ways that you can use to control their device:

- Through their Spike softare through VISA TCP/IP. The Spike software interfaces to their hardware and controls it and you can connect from LabVIEW to this software through VISA. This is a quite interesting solution but has of course the drawback that their Spike software needs to be running too.

- Through the SDK API. This is a software API in the form of DLLs on Windows and shared libraries on Linux. You will need to use the Call Library Node to call these libraries and that is serious work to do, fairly error prone and painful if C programming isn't your second native language.

So the first approach almost certainly sounds easier and definitely will give you quicker working code, while the second is more direct and probably faster in execution but comes at a great cost of development time, sweat and grey hairs for you.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,928 Views)