LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import data from LabVIEW compiled .exe to another VI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a real-time VI and I want to import depth and camera stream from it to another VI so that I can use those streams for my research.

Regards,

Kashish Dhal

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,890 Views)

Hi kashish,

do you have an EXE or do you have a VI?

Either way: create a new VI with (network) communication included...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,863 Views)

Kashish,

You need to supply a little more information.  You mention "Real-time VI" and "LabVIEW compiled .exe" -- what are these?  If you are talking about code that was originally coded in LabVIEW, but you only have access to the compiled "Application" (i.e. the .exe), then you may be out of luck, as the code for the depth and camera streams are already going where the coder sent them.  Is your "Real-Time VI" running on a Real-Time Processor, such as a cRIO or a PXI chassis?  

Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "depth" and "camera stream"?  What are the data being generated, where is it currently going, and where would you like it to go?  Are the "depth" and "camera" data synchronized by the hardware, or acquired from two asynchronous devices?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,831 Views)

Hi Gerd W & Bob_Schor,

I was talking about the code that was originally coded in LabVIEW, and I have access to the compiled "Application" (i.e. the .exe), I thought it is called Real-Time VI. I do not have "Real-Time VI" running on a Real-Time Processor, such as a cRIO or a PXI chassis.

Depth stream from camera give an array of size 640 x 480 pixel and each pixel is unsigned 16 bit integer. And camera stream is RGB  of 640 x 480 where each pixel is unsigned 32 bit integer. However, these are arrays are converted into color images by the Application to be displayed on window. And they are not synchronized by the hardware, they are displayed in separate windows.

I want to acquire those streams to another LabVIEW VI if possible, so that I can extract information from them. And, Gerd please let me know how this network communication works.

Regards,

Kashish Dhal

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,826 Views)

Well, I'm not GerdW, but I have acquired data from multiple cameras at 640x480 RGB 30fps simultaneously over a TCP/IP network.  If you have a GigE Camera (Axis and Basler make them), this is extremely simple.

I've also done data acquisition with LabVIEW RT and used Network Streams to stream analog data from the RT system to the PC over TCP/IP.  Again, not so difficult (follow the examples that ship with LabVIEW).

If one of your routines is a compiled Application, then you will have a much easier time if you get your hands on the original LabVIEW code.  This is particularly true if you want to add Network Streams to the "Real-Time" code.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,817 Views)

Bob,

Can you elaborate that how to send data over TCP/IP server or is there any source where I can get this information.

Regards,

Kashish Dhal

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,800 Views)

Hi Kashish,

follow the examples that ship with LabVIEW

Bob already mentioned the example VIs coming with LabVIEW.

Did you try to find suitable examples in the Example Finder?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,798 Views)

OK, I will look at that example.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,792 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kashish

You can also search LabVIEW Help for "Network Streams", and find the "Concept" note "Streaming Data and Sending Commands between Applications".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,777 Views)